Search This Blog

Wednesday 28 September 2016

How To Confuse People!

But Not Alienate Them
Because 1) I'm the alien round here, thank you very much and 2) If you bamboozle people utterly then they won't come back.  
     Okay, what I have to post here is possibly confusing, so to clarify, it's what I wrote yesterday in anticipation of not being able to post it yesterday and instead having to wait until today to post it.  It'll all make sense eventually*.
     "The Girl With All The Gifts": Conrad's cunning plan
     Conrad - that's me for the new or confused - likes to keep BOOJUM! very lightly grounded in reality.  If reality is the ground, we are the tethered balloon 150 yards up in the air.  The result of this grounding is that you get to read about his daily struggles with quotidian life - usually The Metro's Cryptic Crossword or First Bus failing to arrive on time, epic stuff like that.
     Today (I wrote yesterday) is slightly different, as Conrad - again, that's me, for the absent-minded - is writing of what he intends to do, which will only get posted long after I've done it.  And I intend to go and watch TGWATG.  Your humble scribe has heard good things of it, including a thumbs-up from Mighty Mark (Kermode).  One interesting fact is that it only cost £4 million to make**, so we shall see where that leads.

Image result for the girl with all the gifts
Going from this -

Image result for the girl with all the gifts
 - to this is quite the paradigm shift
     Let us continue.  I am on a late shift Tuesday, so don't finish until 6 p.m. and this is when the film is slated to start, so I cannot dawdle.  Luckily The Printworks Odeon is only 5 minutes walk from The Electric Goldfish Bowl and with adverts and trailers the film proper won't start until oh say 6:15 p.m.  It won't finish until 8:15 p.m. and thanks to the splendid disservice offered by First, I shall not get home until 9:45.  Then I need to gnaw upon a crust of bread and make lunch for Wednesday, before gloasting a little in front of Wonder Wifey and Degsy, something along the lines of snapping one's fingers and going "Ha!" - nobody ever said I was subtle - by which time it will be 10:30 and nearly time for bed.
     I certainly don't intend to sit down and start typing the blog in order to post it for 11:30, thank you very much.  Given how I look, I need every second of beauty sleep I can get.

More Of Ken Adam
The Production Designer, remember?  I introduced you to him as the designer of the War Room in "Doctor Strangelove" - no, don't cry, I'm not going to bang on about that film, at least not today.  Instead I would like to illustrate more of the sets he worked on.  Art?
Image result for ken adam set design
A concept sketch of Blofeld's lair in "You Only Live Twice"
     This is the kind of sketching a designer will create to work out what's feasible or not, what looks good, scale, where you'd need a matte painting, things like that.  Let us see what the finished set looks like:
Image result for ken adam set design
With humans for scale
     Old Ken liked to work on a fairly large canvas, I think you'll agree.

How Very Appropriate!
Considering that tonight is Wednesday, which is Great British Bake Off night, I have been very lax in not posting my review of last week's show.  Don't worry about that, the weekend is yet to come where I shall flex my fingers in a furious frenzy of <thinks> fretwork.  Yes, yes, I know "fretwork" refers to guitars but find an alternative for "typing" that begins with an "F" before you criticise me, eh?
     Anyway, I would like to post this, from "Jim'll Paint It".  Art?
Little can be said!
     Timely and topical.  Thank you, Jim.  Allow me to post the link to his website so he doesn't get cross with me nicking his artwork:

http://jimllpaintit.tumblr.com/

     Honestly, Jim, I don't make a penny from it.

Finally -
Conrad, as you may know, is not fond of The Simpsons and considers it to have outstayed it's welcome after the third series.  Actually I've no idea if it's still going or not and don't care enough to check.
     But I WOULD pay cash money to see these:
Image result for bart simpson dead
Come on!  A knobbly skull???
Image result for bart simpson dead
Ha!  They stitched his eyes shut!
Image result for bart simpson dead
Shades of Goldfinger, eh?  Calling Ken Adam ...
     And on that hilariously ghoulish note, I bid you goodbye ...


*  That, or your eyes will explode from your sockets
** This amount won't cover the catering on a Hollywood blockbuster.

No comments:

Post a Comment