Search This Blog

Friday 9 September 2016

Chair-Rowing, Hercules And Guadalcanal

There You Go
Quite a mixed bag, eh?  Let us arrive at Guadalcanal, an island in the South Pacific, via Olympus, South Canada and The Flophouse.
Image result for guadalcanal
Not quite a tropical paradise ...
     Yes yes yes, I know I'm doing things in reverse order, it's my brain and my blog, so I'll do it how we like it here.  If you disagree then the exit door IS THAT WAY!
     Right.  Today The Flopsters were skewering a film called "Olympus Has Fallen", which appears to have been a particularly po-faced rendering of the White House under siege, with horribly cheap special effects, although the bad guys are North Koreans, so that's okay.
Image result for olympus has fallen gerard butler falling
Gerard Butler.  As a butler.
     One of the best things about TF is the childish glee that the hosts exude, practically falling off their chairs due to laughter.  Or, it being radio and invisible, perhaps they sit on the floor to avoid that danger.  A real tonic on the drive into work under a louring sky.
Image result for olympus has fallen gerard butler falling
Okay, a butler on elephant-steroids and rage
     Anyway, Elliot pointed out one of the film's failings: it's so serious.  Or, rather, it takes itself so seriously.  "You're not making Guadalcanal!" he chortled.
     Which is when your humble scribe sat up and paid attention, because what film was I watching last night?
     "Guadalcanal Diary".  Now, what are the chances of that happening?
     From the Flopster's comments, Conrad judges you should watch "White House Down" because that sounds a much more entertaining fillum.
Image result for white house burning
White House Down:  The Prequel
(Hey, the bad guys could legitimately be British!)

 Another Coincidence
I apologise for not having any photographic evidence here, for the moment was fleeting.  On the way into work we pass by a construction site where a small plot of new houses are being built, and today Conrad noticed that it now has a street sign:  "Hercules Green".
     We'll come to the coincidence bit in a minute.  Why had I never noticed this before?  because it's only just been put up, is why.  New build, new houses, new street.  A cul-de-sac, by the way.
Image result for green hercules
Nigel Green: Hercules.  Close enough.
     So, back to your humble scribe, and my non-sporty Olympic Quiz, for today we had a whole lot of office games on the Olympic theme, arranged by the lovely Anna*.  No Gerald Butler visible, ta very much.  Creating the quiz was harder than you might think, the Olympics being a sporting event, and Conrad being wilfully ignorant of all sports.  Unless you count combat tiddlywinks.
     I also tried to make it Google-proof, for as you surely know by now, I have a very low opinion of the moral character of my fellow man.  And woman.
     Who featured in one of the questions?  
     Hercules, that's who.
Image result for hydra
That damned Coincidence Hydra, again.

Okay, That's Two Out Of Three
I have hopefully piqued your interest with that title element "Chair-Rowing".  I shall have to explicate with a picture.  Art?
A practice run
     Here you see a three-chair combination, being propelled backwards by Kala, Nicola and Alison.  The idea was to speed down the aisle and be clocked in a timed run.  Conrad also took part, paired with Phil and Javed.
     I was in the middle and Phil brought up the rear, for which I ought to apologise, since I went madly over the top, yelling "PUSH!" with every heave of my legs, wild-eyed with enthusiasm.
     Which worked, as we won.  Hoorah!

"You Baffle Me, Rob"
This can stand as a judgement made by a lot of people who have encountered your humble scribe, and the first bafflement is why he goes by the name of Conrad instead of his proper appellation.
     Well, I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.  Maybe just torture you, if I'm in a good mood.
     The quote is from Mandy, when I explained about the eye-catching arrangement for my quiz.  Art?
Ho ho ho!
     You can't read the Post-its, so I shall elucidate.  Next to the bottle the note reads "Bottle".  Next to the small plastic Volkswagen the note reads:"Beetle".  And next to the dice with no number 1 or 6 is the note "Cheatle".
     It made me laugh, so I don't care if you're baffled or not.

Well, I have to post this and then do the weekly shop, so we are going to come in a few words under count.  If you don't like it, the exit door IS THAT WAY**!


*  I repeat the compliment, as nice on the inside as the outside. 
** Actually that little rant and this appendix have brought us just over the count.  just thought you should know.

No comments:

Post a Comment