Search This Blog

Thursday 8 September 2016

A Zero Sum Game?

Allow Me To Apologise -
 - for being technical.  I shall explain: a "zero sum game" is an encounter between two parties where the gain or loss of one side is equally balanced by the loss or gain of the other side, the two consequently cancelling each other out - hence the "zero" part.
      I can see you casting glances at the doorway, wondering if it's within diving distance -
     SIT BACK DOWN!  
     This particular Intro casts back as far as last night, from the calm and rational perspective of tonight, for last night, gentle reader, your humble scribe was wont to vent his Frothing Nitric Ire*.
     "What can have troubled the eternally sunny-natured Conrad?" I hear you quibble, dear reader.  "For isn't he known as a perpetually smiling ray of sunshine?**"
Proof.  Of something.
      The Internet, I confess: the Internet let me down.
     This is because I'd created another minor masterpiece of wit and wisdom, and by 19:41 too, which - what's that?  What do I mean?  The blog - BOOJUM! of course, you arrant jackanapes.
     By 19:41, which left plenty of time to post on Facebook and Twitter and then get me hence to the lounge and Bake Off.
     "Dog Buns!" quoth I.  "Why no photo loading on FB?  Why is Twitter taking so long to load up my Tweet?"
     A good five minutes went by.  Then everything froze.
     "DOG BUNS!" I snarled, imagining beating the snot out of my PC with a lump hammer.  Quit out of the browser, go back in again - still nothing on Twitter.
     "DOG BUNS!!" even louder this time, causing cars on the main road to swerve in alarm.  With a sneer of sadistic relish, I rebooted the PC.
     "Ha!  Take that, computer, you silicon slug," I chortled.  Then it was back to -
     "DOG BUNS!!!" because it was nearly 20:00 and I didn't have time to wait for the hamster to get the wheel up to speed - Bake Off, don't you know.
     So today, sitting calmly and quietly - so far - I wondered if yesterday's technical issues were a zero sum game.  In all conscience I don't think so, because all Conrad got was stress and strife, whilst the PC probably had a long quiet chuckle to itself over winding-up the foolish human.
Image result for shotgunned computer
Yeah, well - this, computer ...
Here's A Coincidence
Conrad may have mentioned "Church Organ World" a few times in the past, and hastens to assure you that it's a real thing.  Not only does it exist on FB, take a look at this -
No!  The organ!
     Not the Dog Bakery - although that's yet another coincidence.
     C.O.W. is based next town over from Royton, in Shaw, and if your eyesight is sharp enough you can see that there's an organ concert and demonstration on October 1st, which is a Saturday.
     Sadly for your humble scribe, who loves him a bit of church organ music, on the day of the recital I shall be dogsitting Edna and thus encumbered (Ednacumbered?) can't go inside, although were I to do so, I strongly suspect the R.S.P.C.A. would press charges.

A Little Father-Daughter Interaction
Perhaps surprisingly, Darling Daughter has acquired some hobby traits from her sinister and saturnine father.  Me, in case you were wondering.  Wargaming, bad sci-fi films and Doctor Who, to name but three.  Here is some proof, as I know what skeptics you lot are:

     In that hilariously avuncular yet superior way, Doctor John Smith*** is talking with the Victorian gentleman in view:
     "I see"
     "In fact you don't, but it's nice of you to try."

A Short Film Review
Because I've got a lot more material and yet the word count is nearly up. And no, this is not a review of a 10 minute indie feature, it's the review that's going to be short.  Although clarifying that has, ironically, considerably enlarged it.  Okay, let us lambast -
"Bridget Jones's Baby":  Woman has baby.  Really?  That's it?  Talk about Hollywood running short of ideas.  Tell you what, come back when she has a two-headed demon child that spits fire and shoots laser beams from all three eyes.  Now, that would be interesting, you've got to admit, if perhaps a little hard to bring to term.
Image result for bridge of bones
Bridge of bones.  Close enough.
     
*  "Bad temper" - translation courtesy Mister Hand
** Not round here, he's not - cold hard truth courtesy Mister Hand
*** He is also U.N.I.T.'s Special Scientific Advisor.

No comments:

Post a Comment