Search This Blog

Friday 30 September 2016

Going Sober For October

Why Yes Indeed!
Several people have asked why I do this - or, in their words, " - put yourself through it", which frankly tells you more about them than me.
     A few reasons spring to mind.  One, to prove to self and others that I am not a raving alcoholic.  I know a couple of colleagues at work who have started and lasted as long as six days.  Secondly, it gives my ailing liver a holiday and a chance to recuperate, although the lack of alcohol is perhaps counterbalanced by the vast quantities of tea and fizzy pop that I get through.  A gallon of tea per weekend if I'm pushing it.  Thirdly, it's very good news for one's bank balance.  Instead of purchasing a firkin of ale each weekend and bottles of beer every time I go into a shop, or when shopping for food and thinking "Oh I'll just get that hogshead of mead, too," this all gets cut out of your shopping.  The fourth reason is the unspeakably higher moral ground that you hold as a result, though gloasting about your halo can get a bit wearing for all the lesser mortals.
Conrad: sober as an anvil
     So!  I have time for one last blast tonight, except I can't get stupefied as I'm off to the Church Organ World recital tomorrow and appearing wrinkled and bloodshot probably won't go down too well.  I also wondered if there's a dress code.  It isn't stated anywhere, but is it implicit in the audiences who attend these events?  I shall have to foresake my "Urutsukidoji" tee shirt and distressed jeans for <shudder> a shirt and trousers.
     Oh, wait a minute, I forgot, Darling Daughter nicked that tee shirt years ago.

Speaking Of Whom -
As you should know by now, Conrad descended upon Yo! Sushi last night.  Much as the Assyrians fell upon whomever like a wolf on the fold*, so your humble scribe fell upon the free pickled ginger.  Ha!  Take that, ginger!
     Which has nothing to do with what comes next.
     I know, I know, king of the non sequiteur, that's me.  
     SPOON!
Image result for the tick spoons
The Tick's battle cry.  Now you know.
     DD stated that she wants to recreate iconic film props from horror films, which she may regret ever saying, for three reasons - Degsy, Wonder Wifey and myself.  We all had a lot - and I mean a LOT - to say about horror films = the good, the bad, ones to avoid and why "Sharknado 4" is awesome due to dudes battling flying sharks with chainsaws.  Plus what props to recreate: a kitchen knife and a bit of shower curtain, a petri dish of blood and a hot wire ...
Image result for john carpenter the thing hot wire
Ha!  Mac wasn't Ready!

BOOJUM! Reviews Film Trailers
Because I'm not going to detail "The Girl With All The Gifts" just yet, though I took notes, as it would involve too many spoilers and reveals for a film that has only just come out, I shall focus instead on the trailers.  Since I actually watched these film clips I shall suspend our normal review rules - go only on the title and make everything up - and that way I can gloast of both reviewing films and inflicting my worldview on you.  Both a frightening prospect.
     "War On Everyone": an action comedy co-starring Michael Pena - who is always a good thing - about a couple of corrupt American cops.  It featured an awful lot of doors being kicked in.  I would class it as "gleefully nihilistic" and "Empire" rather liked it.  We shall see.
Image result for war on everyone
They are Very Bad People
     "Miss Peregrine ": and I got too bored about the title to bother with the rest of it.  Tim Burton does Harry Potter, essentially.
Image result for peregrin took
Peregrin Took.  Close enough
     "Rings":  I would class this as "Totally Un-necessary Remake".  Of a Japanese film, which Conrad was singularly unimpressed with.  This one seems predictable to the point of tedium, and I have to say that big special effects do not redeem a bad film.
Image result for time machine talking rings
Ah!  These rings are a lot more interesting
     "Arrival": now, this one looks interesting.  Aliens in spaceships arrive at different points on planet Earth.  How do we communicate with them?  Hopefully not with guns,  with language instead.  Guns as back-up of course - you lot are Hom. Sap. after all.
Image result for arrival
"Please have your passport and visa ready for inspection."

* Here "fold" is actually a sheep pen full of sheep, rather than a piece of origami, though you probably guessed that as wolves are not known for paper-manipulating skill.

No comments:

Post a Comment