Search This Blog

Sunday 10 May 2015

Lock Up Your Daughters - It's Roger Waters!

If You Say "Who?" - Then I Shall Forgive You
Mr Waters was the bass player (primarily), vocalist and songwriter for an obscure band originating in the Sixties that you've probably never heard of: Pink Floyd.
     You'd be forgiven for not knowing who he was, and still less knowing what he looked like, as Pink Floyd were never ones to promote themselves publicly. 
     The bit about "lock up your daughters" is problematic, as Roger is in his Sixties himself and not as spry as he used to be.  Also, in their younger years the Floyd were not really into the rock-n-roll excess lifestyle embraced by people like Keith Moon or Steve Tyler; their idea of a good time was downing a lot of beer*.
     Okay, that's enough Intro, I think we've avoided the proscriptive Hamster search engine scrutineers - let the motley commence!
Image result for richard gereImage result for roger waters

Roger Waters & Richard Gere.  How come you never see them together at the same time?

The Day Begins
I know that the day does, given causality and the nature of time, always begin, but this is more about how Conrad begins a Sunday.
From left to right: tea; crumpets; more tea; ice cream
     This is the first time I've used the Chai Ninja Cup With Strainer.  Today I made tea with the Lapsang Souchong brought back by Wonder Wifey, discovering that the Ninja filters loose leaf tea wonderfully well:
Observe the "liquor**" in the cup.  Very well brewed.
     I put it back to steep a little longer and overdid it a bit - the tea is pretty strong stuff so next time I'll know to use less.
     For your information, Lapsang Souchong is smoked tea, of a far stronger flavour than my regular tipple Russian Caravan Tea.  It's definitely an acquired taste and might be compared to drinking liquid kippers with no fishy flavour.

Popcorn For The Eyes
When the other household members go forth on their various endeavours, who is left behind to dog-sit but Conrad?
     If I remain seated at the kitchen table I get a whimpering reminder that this posture is unacceptable to Edna.  Conrad then hies himself to the lounge, there to sprawl on the settee.
 - and Edna sprawls on Conrad
     This is a different photo to the one taken yesterday - check the socks for confirmation - but the general principle is the same.  I can lie down, satisfy Edna and get work done at the same time.
     "Popcorn for the eyes" comes in when I turn on the television, because I have been watching a programme called "N.C.I.S.", which scores worryingly high on IMDB, probably due to evil studio shilling.
Mark Harmon: hot stuff!  Do you see what I - o you do.
     I don't know if this stuff gets churned out by a robot*** or not but you can see all the tick boxes being filled: grumpy surly boss - check; wacky lab technician - check; hilarious banter - check; joker on the team - check; all wound up neatly within 45 minutes - check; frantic bursts of explanatory exposition - check; waving guns around - check.
     What I do like about it is David McCallum as a forensic surgeon; this guy must be about eighty and he's still getting acting gigs in the USA.  Either he's immortal, in which case we need to worry about him, or his virtuous lifestyle has been artistically rewarded.
     Sorry - "Naval Criminal Investigative Service".  They investigate crimes in the US Navy and Marine Corps.  I like the theme tune - let me dig a little - by Numeriklab.
     And what have we here?  "Director - James Whitmore Junior".  
     I'll get back to you on that.

Indexing - A Riveting Task
Only if you're me.  If you were doing this you'd be asleep by now, or being tied down to a bed in a room with padded walls.
     Behold the fruits of a couple of week's work:
Pages and pages of - stuff.
     This, mind you, is only part of the finished product.  Next I have to index all the officers named above the rank of Major; it seems the convention is that you only get mentioned when below the rank of Major if you win the VC^.
     Then I have to index all the locations mentioned in France and Flanders, and then all the official battles that the 51st took place in.  If feeling ambitious I might also include technical details - tanks, Stokes Guns, trench warfare practices.
     As an end result I suppose I could type it up and ask if Naval And Military Press want an index, for free even, though I suspect the answer would be a loud "No!" - adding on an index would increase the page count and probably make it commercially unviable.
     I'll let you know.

Well now.  I have to make off and cook those meatballs that were past their Sell By Date on the 5th.  They're probably still okay to eat, right?
     I'll get back to you on that.


* Apart from dear old Syd Barrett, god rest his mad bad bones.
 ** The tea-snob's name for tea.
 *** Also known as a "scriptwriter"
^ The Victoria Cross.  That thing not given away in packets of cereal.

No comments:

Post a Comment