Search This Blog

Sunday 3 May 2015

Hot Snood Party At The Rectory Tonight!

Aaaaand Once Again I'm Lying And There Isn't*
Aren't I such a terrible person?  And I bet you're unsure what a "snood" is.  Do you eat it with a fork, put it on leather to soften it, or have it as a substitute for mulch in the garden?  Well, guess what - I'm not going to tell you!  Live in frustration, look it up on Google or wait until tomorrow when I reveal what it is.
     It does, I rather think (a touch of wistfulness here), look like something Bertie Wooster might have mentioned to Jeeves, before a request to lay out the electric-green tie to go with the raspberry twill suit.**
The Aardvark Mine Clearing Vehicle.
Jeeves would approve.

What, Facebook, Have You Been Drinking?
The madness that is the "Suggested Post" continues on Facebook.  Yesterday the "Log-Counting Software" might actually have had a practical application, only coming a good six months after the original suggestion.
     Yesterday we had the following:
"iCracked: become a certified mobile phone technician!
     Excuse me?  When have I ever posted or implied that I had any interest in repairing mobile phones?  Especially since I loathe the Dog Bun things and would gladly put mine in a jute sack and throw it under the next passing Challenger tank, to ensure it gets properly busted.  The world would be a better place without the mobile phone, so I look upon poor sickly ones getting repaired with a great deal of rancour.
     Not only that, Conrad has hands like shovels and fingers like jumbo sausages, to wit:
i-pod for scale purposes
     I, for one, cannot see me fiddling delicately with tweezers and probes to fix a mobile phone.  A wooden mallet and a blowtorch, yes.  Delicate instruments, no.

The Nautical Mile
There I am, listening to "The Other Side" by PBS***, and the commentary comes up with "We are at a height of 460 nautical miles above the Moon".
     This is a commentary about a spaceship about to go into orbit around the Moon^, a quarter of a million kilometres from Earth, in cis-lunar space with ENTIRELY NO WATER AT ALL IN SIGHT.  So why a nautical mile?
Image result for sexy smile
A naughty smile.  Close enough.
     Apparently this is because nautical miles correspond to a minute of latitude on maps using the Mercator scale, popular in the marine and aeronautical world, and since Apollo was only a hop skip and jump from aeronautical, why it just stuck.
     For your information a nautical mile is 2025 yards, whereas the mile you and I are familiar with is only 1760.


Google Analytics
Although the website help page insisted that traffic and data would become visible within hours, I had to wait for several days before things started to show up.  I guess this is because BOOJUM!s traffic is relatively low^^.  Have a gander:
Impressive, isn't it!  I've no idea what any of it means, though
     I'm sure this will or would tell me all sorts of interesting things about visitors to the site, and having produced a month's worth of data Conrad really should go and look at it.
     After all, how am I going to know if the readers residing in Novi Pazar are up on their Inter Continental Ballistic Missile data?

Dog In A Cot
Not a manger, no.  We have recently acquired a dog cot for Edna Wunderhund, which enables her to watch the world go by whilst being transported in the Murdermobile.


     She is a far better traveller now, able to see things - she is a nosey little rascal - and move about to a limited extent.  She whimpers a little now and then, just to let you know that she Cannot Be Taken For Granted, but on the whole she is a very good traveller.  Plus you don't have to stick her in a box like Jenny.^^^

Proof Of Being In Salford
It being nearly 9 by now, I'm not going to post about "Sounds From The Other City", except to say that I had a whale of a time, and proudly maintained my long-standing status of Oldest Person Present.
     Here is a little shot of the River Irwell, the Lowry Hotel in the background:
View From A Bridge~
     I post this because I'd had to get up at 7 a.m. to visit the bathroom and the weather was vile.  Gale force winds and torrential rain.  However, by the time I got to Islington Mill in Salford I was regretting wearing a rainproof jacket and shoes since it was so warm!

Finally
It's a long long time since I posted a shot of home-made ice cream.  If you've been reading the blog for over a year, then you recall that our freezer at the Mansion was constantly full of different types of home made ice cream.  Then, suddenly, I stopped.
     Now, suddenly, I've started.

     This is Raspberry Yoghurt Ice Cream, where the sharpness of the berries is offset by the smoothness of the yoghurt.  Jolly nice stuff. The only drawback is that it's positively hotching with calories.  Well, a little of what you fancy ...


* Given the number of rectories up and down the country, and that there must be rectories that have parties, and that a snood is a real thing - this may be borderline reality, you know.
** Jeeves, naturally, would imply how tasteless this was with a single lift of the eyebrow.
*** Public Service Broadcasting.  That band I like.
^ That big thing up in the sky.
^^ A dagger through my heart to admit it ...
^^^ The cat.  Not a person. Just so we're clear.
~ With apologies to The Chameleons

No comments:

Post a Comment