Search This Blog

Wednesday 6 May 2015

GO!

No, Not The Chinese Game
Although Conrad has played and enjoyed it in the past, a physical game using black and white counters on a gridded board.  No point in describing it at length, as it's not what the title's about.
     Nor yet is it the Lemonjelly track from their "64 - 98" album, voice over courtesy of William Shatner.
    - I wonder, would there be a market for a 3D game of Go?  You'd have to have a wire cage to accomodate the lines, and use notched spheres rather than flat circular counters, and it would probably be mind-bendingly difficult to play - I'll get back to you on that.
     Where was I?
Image result for go
Where was I?  Going on with myself.  Do you see - O you do.
     Oh, yes, "GO!".  I refer to probably the best track on the recently released "Race for Space" by Public Service Broadcasting.  This track incorporates an edited segment of the flight controllers in Mission Control, Houston, being asked by the big bird Gene Krantz himself if they report Go or No Go - essentially, are they giving the green light for the LEM* to land on the lunar regolith?  Conrad, because this is the way his mind works, listened patiently to the different flight controllers and tried to work out what they were - and then cross-checked with the real thing.  So we have:
RETRO - Correct
VITAL - not sure about this, it might be "FLIGHT"
GUIDANCE - Correct
CONTROL - Correct
G IN C - Actually GNC
DEECOM - Actually "EECOM"
SURGEON - Correct
DALCOM - Not sure about this, it might be "CAPCOM"
     Well it diverted me for a few minutes.

The Bus Wait Rate was once again confirmed this morning, since I was on a tight schedule - two buses and a coach passed by on the other side of the road.  Taunt me, First Bus, why don't you!

"The Die-Hards In The Great War 1914 - 1918"
Aha!  Don't try and sneak out and don't fall asleep, this is interesting**.  I've had this two volume history for several years and have never read it before, so my long ride into and out of work allows me the luxury of being able to peruse at length.
    As soon as I opened the supposed First Volume, 1914 to 1916, I noticed an error.  This was actually the Second Volume with an incorrect front:
The false front
     It began in January 1917.  That chap on the front is from 1915, too.
There you go, Volume II
     Now, have a look at the Index:
Very - index-y
     That's how it's done, "History of the 51st Highland Division".  A list of the battalions, then of officers - none below the rank of Major unless they won a VC - and then the operations or battles they were involved in.  A model of clarity.  I can only hope to reach this refined elegance with my index.

The Metro
I'm actually reviewing yesterday's edition of the Boot Wiping Implement.  Typical drivel - "Oooh!  Chris and Gwynnie!"  "Oooh! A royal baby!"  "Oooh! A woman in a long green dress!"
     This is news?  Pah!  Get out of my way! Well photo of the woman in a long green dress does take up a lot of room that they'd otherwise have to fill with words.

excuse me got to go check on the Norwegian Pear Cake

     And what do we have today?
Her hair is stapled to her head.
     A temporary triumph for BOOJUM! - look what they list "Guilty Pleasures" as - Pages 12 and 13, no lies about "4 pages" today, eh!
     Oh and the Ri-veal is a glimpse of this tartlet's chest.
     Who is she, again?

Still Out -
Yes, those burnt-out bulbs have yet to be replaced.

     I suppose there's less pressure to replace them at this time of year, when the days are getting longer, but - in fact BUT! - the longest day will be here and gone in about six weeks, Mister Bulb Replacement Man***.

"Something Misbegotten In The Estate Of Gen. Marek"
As I have titled my latest epic opus, and yes it is a pun on that quote from Hamlet.
An example of the story what I wrote..
     The setting is the bucolic East Sussex village of Eden Underwood, and here we have Niall, the hero, encountering some hostile chaps eager to interview the reclusive Mister Hinkley.  This is after Niall goes to inspect the consecrated and thus evil-free henge stones recovered from the riverbank nearby.  The henge, you see, had been broken up and used for building material in the sixteenth century, which was a mistake - the stones being cursed thanks to thousands of years of blood sacrifice.
     Also, Niall is getting down to learning electric guitar and can manage "Smoke on the Water".  He might have to tell you what it is he's playing first, but damn it that man is a trier.

O2!  Why No Love For The Weasel?
The advertising agency working for O2 continues with their rather baffling promotion of mobile-phone-as-dog, viz:


     Surely - surely! - someone somewhere in the advertising business must recognise the awesome pulling power of the weasel^.  I know I'm right here, don't forget I'm the genius responsible for -
Image result for crocodile in a skirt
FROCKODILE!
Let me kickstart things with an image and a name for you:
Image result for wonder weasel
Wallace the Wild-eyed Wonder Weasel of Winterland^^
Oops!  Dangerously close to a thousand words and sixty minutes.  Hang on -


     I've been watching a lot of "Fortitude" and "Lillyhammer", so in their spirit, here is Norwegian Pear Cake.

* "Lunar Excursion Module" - that insecty-looking thing that touched down on the regolith i.e. moon soil.  Today's coincidence - and nothing to do with yesterday's Stanislav Lem.
** Yes it IS!
*** Or Woman.  No sexism here.
^ I wonder how large a weight it could actually pull.  This needs investigating, urgently.
^^ Possibly the most "W"'s you will see in on place ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment