Search This Blog

Sunday 24 May 2015

Best Start Blogging -

Before I Start Sit-dogging
Apologies for mangling the grammar a bit, except it won't rhyme otherwise.  I, Conrad, the Noble, shall be remaining behind tonight as Other Parties from the Mansion venture forth in order to enjoy various party endeavours - Werneth Cricket Club the venue I believe.
     Since we have Edna Wunderhund still on the premises, somebody has to look after her.
     Who could that possibly be?
     Me.
Me.  All sweetness, light and giggles.
     It's not such a chore, really.  Provided you allow Edna the opportunity to lie on you, she's fairly problem-free, although you might have to play the "Tuggy-Bone" game for a good thirty minutes, or until your arm gets tired.  I guarantee this will happen before Edna gets tired.

Speaking Of Which ...
One of the delights of Edna is playing the "Is it Mine?" game.  This is where she holds a ball or toy in her mouth, glides up to you, daring you to try and pinch it off her - and then darts away before you can lay hands on the thing.
Well, is it mine?
     It's a waste of time trying to inform her that you can't play the Tuggy Bone game or the Fetch! game if she won't let you near the ball.

More Twits At Twitter
I am sure - positive, even - that there is a floor full of people at Twitter who, in between cruising the internet, eating biscuits and drinking tea, have to come up with reasons why they ought to still be in a job.
     I can think of no other way why I would get this sent to me on spec:
"Humble Bunde" it says.
If you were that humble you wouldn't be pestering me, matey!
     At no point do you get the slightest idea of what Humble actually offer as a service, which I suppose is intended to get Your Average Reader to click on the link and find out, except Conrad would rather gnaw his finger off than follow their link.

Allow Me
I have found, through hands-on experience, that guzzling down a litre tub of ice cream in one go is not conducive to a quiet and well-tempered stomach.  This is why I eat much smaller portions of ice cream for breakfast.
     I have also discovered, although not of late, that scoffing a whole fresh coconut is also liable to produce Exotic Stomach Tremors.
No!  Not abstract sculpture - the remains of a coconut
Collector, Hoarder, Connoisseur? - Only You Can Tell!
As you might have discovered earlier today, Conrad has uploaded himself a few CDs he bought on Saturday.
     Only after doing the uploading to i-tunes did I realise that Bonobo & Co. were the 700th CD to be uploaded.  Thank the lord aloft for i-tunes and the i-pod, because otherwise I would need two wheelbarrows* to carry around the number of CDs I have.

     Then there's the Military History books.  We are now up to 610 of them, and I need to find another resting place as the overhead cupboard is now full to capacity**.

Shakeshaft
Oh boy, I really relish the opportunity to bash the Barb of Avon.  I had to study his hideous cringe-worthy prose, and that was quite beside the poems.  If I'd had to study them then the nervous breakdown would have happened ten years early.
     Anyway!  Let us proceed -

"Get thee to a nunnery!
Enough of your mummery.
You're all damn'd flummery -
Dog Buns! is my summary."

     I know it's not deathless prose, which is exactly the point.

The Art Of The Index
I realise mentioning this might drive readers away, those that can stay awake that is.
     Behold!


     I know it doesn't seem like much, but you're looking at Conrad working his way through 1/3 of the Official History, with seven pages of notes.  I calculate I'll end up with about 20 pages.  This section, I ought to elaborate, is all the place names mentioned - cities, towns, villages, trenches, fortified sites, rivers, ridges, etc.
     After this I shall do a list of battles the 51st was involved in, which will be a much shorter list.  Then it shall be technical matters - the weapons, terrain, tactics, that sort of stuff.
     As possibly already mentioned, I think the original publication had an index, which Naval & Military have omitted for reasons of cost.  I could generously offer them Conrad's Index, although Conrad suspects the reply will be a very loud "NO!"



* The wheelbarrow.  An artefact unknown in 18th Century Russia.
** Anyone suggesting ANY solution harking of disposal of said books will DIE IN HIDEOUS UN-NATURAL TORMENT.  That is all.






No comments:

Post a Comment