Search This Blog

Saturday 3 January 2015

I'm So Brave!

But, Dear Heart, It Comes As A Visual Pun
So a little subterfuge is in order, lest the watchful Hamster sentries hovering eternal o'er the electronic landscape try to spoil it.
     Actually, where does "Subterfuge" come from?  Probably Latin.
     - hang on I'll go check -
     - yep, from the Latin "Subterfugere" meaning "To escape secretly", via French and "subterfugerum" and hence "Subterfuge".
     That answers another question I was going to ask - if you're being all open and honest and above board*, why aren't you described as being "Terfuge"?
"Your mission, Rob, should you choose to accept it, is to drink tea for England"
"Accepted!  Let the next two pints commence!"

First Bus
A backhanded compliment in verse:

Credit where credit is due:
First Bus, I have to say to you
That today, you ran on time!
An achievement most sublime.
However, it is the weekend
And I do not have to work  attend.
Today's service was just great.
But on Monday I bet you're late.

     Yes, I went into Oldham to get - 
Today's haul of books

     A diary
Conrad is a paper book-era dinosaur who needs things written down to make them comprehensible.  If it's not in the diary it either doesn't exist or it never happened.  Luckily I have the time I start work on Monday written down as the last entry in my 2014 diary, or I'd have to turn up at 8:00 (providing First Bus also turn up**)
NO!  A "D-I-A-R-Y"
Oh never mind.
"Powers"
<excuse me but this is an excellent pot of Russian Caravan Tea>
Just finished reading the "Cosmic" volume, where Oeming has to illustrate pages of very abstract concepts - a dreamscape, if you will.  Very different from his usual style, viz:
Reminiscent of Jean Giraud Moebius, don't you think?
     I chose these pages as they are devoid of excessive butt-crack cleavage - BOOJUM! has to remain SFW and minors.
     Probably not a spoiler for the TV series, but I don't want to chance it so - that's it.

Plans 1 To 8 From Outer Space
Yes, I have seen "Plan 9 From Outer Space", and it is a bad film, yet in a good way - an example of artistic vision far exceeding ability.
     Anyway, the alien's plan is to revive recently deceased human beings by electro-dart stimulation (I think - it's been a while), and then use their army of - okay, battalion of - okay, okay, their five zombies to take over the world. Or destroy it.  Or, take it over then destroy it.  Because they couldn't destroy it and then take it over -
     - where was I?  Oh yes, Plan 9.  From my mocking tone above***you can take it that I thing very little of this plan.  It barely merits being called a "plan", and "A Very Silly Idea Of Doubtful Utility And Immense Practical Problems 9 From Outer Space" is more accurate, except that probably wouldn't fit on hoardings and posters.
     Still, if this was the most promising Plan, what on earth - or off it - could the others have been?
Ed Wood (1994) Poster
The scene where he meets Otson Welles is hilarious
     Plan 1:  create a race of giant carnivorous killer rabbits that spread across the earth like a plague, devouring all - oh, no, that's already been done^.  Okay go to -
     Plan 2:  create a race of intelligent, fire-starting cockroaches that spread across the earth like - no?  That's been done already^^?
     Plan 3:  Mutate the neutrinos and cause the Earth's axis to shift, thus creating a flood - don't tell me this has been done already!^^^

     Damn.  Now I see why they got all the way up to number 9.
Plan 78 From Outer Space: Hire a giant in a nightgown to tear the planet apart
I'm So Brave
I must be - look at me tackling this Tiger single-handedly!

     Took this about an hour ago just after I'd brewed my pot of tea, so the cap went back on and I'm still drinking tea.


* I.e. all the things that Conrad is not ...
** As you must be aware by now, the probability of this is considerably less than 100%
*** And my own sinister alien plans for world domination as well, obviously!
^ Honestly.  Look up "Night of the Lepus" on IMDB.
^^ Certainly has!  Look up "Bug" on IMDB - the 1975 version.
^^^ Yup.  Sorry, look up "2012" on IMDB.

No comments:

Post a Comment