Search This Blog

Tuesday 1 March 2016

Car Scar

Nothing To Do With Golf
The "Scar" of course refers to Oscar, either my subconscious or memory, perhaps both.  Maybe neither.  Who care!  This is BOOJUM! - please check in logic and common sense at the door.
     Also I think this "You What?" ranting and tanting about the Foobs and the Twits is getting a bit derivative.  Granted they are idiots without redeeming features, and they do generate content almost by default and by definition, and they are idiots (big enough to need mentioning twice), yet I fear them becoming rather stale.  "Oh, another rant by Conrad about <fill in peculiar Suggested Post> again, ho hum."  So I shall experiment with leaving them out and see if people still read the blog.  Of course I run the risk of losing readers who love nothing more than to imagine a man of advanced years, empurpled with inchoate rage, hammering his keyboard so hard that beer on the table next door spills.
     "Yes, yes, we love to hear about creative strife Conrad," I hear you say.  "What about the names again, again?"
     Bear with me, this might take a little while to explain.
     As you already know, to Conrad a car is a metal box with a wheel at each corner.  Thus, media items about the Bugatti Chiron left him cold.
Image result for chiron car
The Chiron.  Which appears to resemble a Jaguar

     Yet the name did ring a faint and distant bell.  Could I rely on Oscar to dredge up from the distant depths exactly what had triggered a memory?
     No.  No, I could not.  Instead I remembered about a Japanese live-action film that dealt with the rogue supercomputer Chiron 5.  Could I rely on Oscar - to cut it short, no I couldn't.  Back to IMDB and typing in variations on "Chiron 5" eventually brought up "Kyron 5" (in my defence pronounced the same).  The film was "Gunhed", from 1986.
     I'm not sure how to describe it, as it was dubbed into English, had a plot that made no sense, and featured several crucial scenes that were so badly lit that you couldn't tell what was going on.  Two sacks of coal fighting in a cellar during a powercut, perhaps?
Image result for gunhed
A bit of a cheat - this scene last seconds, if that

     Since it's 30 years old, probably rather hard to get hold of.  "Gunhed" itself might be regarded as a kind of vertical-tank -
Image result for gunhed aerobot
Thus

     And I seem to recall that it's major opponent was another monster robot called "Aerobot", thus:
Image result for gunhed aerobot
Not subtle

     Who pursued pesky humans by driving through the mechanical scenery, which one would suspect rather undermines the integrity of the entire structure.  It being an excavated atoll in the Pacific.
     "Bonkers but entertaining" sums it up.  I may even bother to try tracking a copy down.
     There you go, not a bad start for a whimsical memory whisked up by a car.

The Journal
You may recall that Conrad is an occasional, dilettantish and extremely lazy wargamer.  Those tables behind me were set up at least a year ago and nothing on them has moved since.  
     Before BOOJUM! rather rescheduled my leisure time, I contributed to "The Journal", the not-very-inspiring yet extremely accurate title for the quarterly publication of The Society Of Twentieth Century Wargamers. Here it the latest iteration:
Splendidly done
     This looks excellent in presentation, up to the standards of a commercially produced magazine.  However, the editor and everyone else also have full-time jobs, so well done them.

http://sotcw.co.uk/

     That's the link to their home page on the internet.  Warning!  Lots of wargaming content, just so we're clear.

"Sainfoin"
I know, kind of a Whisky Oscar Echo*? moment.  I am currently reading about "The Grenadier Guards in the First World War", a mammoth three-volume history of the regiment.  Being quite familiar with the Guards division (as I have read the Official History of that division) I am keeping an eye open for any mention of a Lieutenant Colonel or Major General called "Feilding".  He started off in command of a Guards battalion and ended up commanding the whole division.  Characterised as "a fierce little man" in another man's autobiography**.
     None of which has to do with Sainfoin, which I had never heard of till today.  The 2nd Battalion the Grenadiers had to camp in a field of it during late 1914.  
Image result for sainfoin
Voila!  Or perhaps Violet!

     There you go.  If, as I suspect, they had to lie down in the open thanks to their packs having been left behind, then it's not bad stuff as a bed.

Edna
Our hound of record is enjoying the presence of two humans at home.  When Wonder Wifey refuses to have anything more to do with her - an unforgivable crime in the eyes of our doleful dog - she can resort to your humble scribe.
I probably had food
     This means at least twenty minutes of playing tug with an increasingly soggy soft toy, followed by another ten minutes of throwing and then wrestling with a ball.  Finally followed by a long sojourn on my lap, huffing and sulking at the lack of attention being paid to her.




*  "What On Earth"?  Do keep up!
** Can't remember which.  Can't be bothered to check.





No comments:

Post a Comment