Search This Blog

Monday 29 February 2016

Rambunctiously Exuberant!

That's An Utter Lie By The Way
Conrad, for your information, does not come under the heading of either "rambunctious" or "exuberant".  "Mordant", "Saturnine" or "Borderline evil" are far more applicable.
     "Yes, yes, Conrad, we know all this already and still have the scar tissue to prove it.  So what?" I hear you asking, nicely and respectfully this time*.
     This comes of walking Edna at the weekend, because she always waltzes around like a ballet dancer doing the 100 yard sprint, only pausing to see what delicious treats your diligent dog-warden might be hiding in his pockets.
Ednaxuberant
     "Rambunctious", I decided, was the word that applied to her.  Next, of course, your wicked wordsmith being who he is, I had to find out where this word came from.
     Ooops.  Mid-nineteenth century Americanism, origin unknown.
     'Damn it!  Dog Buns!' was my considered response, because as you know we here at BOOJUM! are SFW and avoid profanity.  'What's a satirically-minded didactic alien spy in human camouflage to do?'
     Obviously, make it up - yet wait, because Conrad decided that "exuberant" also applied to Edna.  That sounds like it has a Latin origin.  You know exuberant - "Chock full of nuts and energy, but mostly energy".
     And it does - "Uber" meaning "Fertile", from which the verb "Exuberare" comes, meaning "Abundant" and then to "Exuberant".
     There.  I'm so glad we got that settled.  Next!

"Border Security"
This is one of those fly-on-the-wall documentary series, set in Toronto International Airport, focussing on the security staff who valiantly man (and woman) Canada's borders against evil interlopers.  Conrad positively relishes watching programmes where ne'er-do-wells get a stern comeuppance, and this had all of that.  The intellectual term for this is "Schadenfreude", which boils down to relishing ne'er-do-wells suffering**.  
     Now, me being me - which is logical as if I were someone else then I doubt this would be written - I did wonder about the badges these security staff wear, badged "CBSA - ASFC".
A rambunctious suitcase is restrained
     "Canadian Border Security Agency - Agence des Service Frontaliers de Canada" is the full version, and you'll agree it's a lot of a mouthful, thanks to the dual-language requirement.  Even the abbreviation is a bit of a mouthful, and can you imagine one of these folks trying to force a suspect to stop?
     "Stop!  Arretez vous!  CBSA-ASFC - damn, they got away."
     Who'd be enjoying the schadenfreude then, I wonder ...

You What?
Ah, at least the Foobs are good for generating word count.  Their Sponsored weblinks are, as always, utterly baffling to your humble scribe.  Take this one:
On the right, thank you.
Ignore the child with the pink balloon.
     Now, that "Sunseeker" yacht is no mere paddleboat.  Look at it - at least two levels above the deck, radomes, levels below the waterline.  This thing is going to cost a lot of money, and - entirely off the top of my head - I reckon we're talking millions here.  Millions!  Plus whatever it costs to crew it, and doubtless there are fees associated with parking it in a marina, and the fuel on top of that.
     So.  Why on earth is this cropping up in FB when your humble scribe cannot afford to even look at a vessel as expensive as this?  I don't even play the Lottery that would allow me to dream of looking at this yacht!

We've Had Boats, Let Us Now Have Cars
Another head-scratching moment.  Art?  Please provide us with the evidence:
I made a joke about Ford in today's earlier post
     Wow!  Thank you so much, E-bay, and Facebook, too!  How I would have regretted ever having missed this fantastic opportunity to learn more about the classic Ford and why it is extremely rare.  I take it that all I have to do to further educate myself in the ways of rare classic Ford cars is merely to click that link?  That's all?  And then the market for extremely rare Ford classic cars would be spread before me!  Gosh!
     <removes tongue from cheek>
     It's been years since I was last on E-Bay.  Years!  Nor did I ever look at cars there, nor anywhere else on the internet, for that matter.
     BAH!

     How long till a Suggested Post recommending I buy a private jet crops up?
     Although, looking at that yacht, "Captain Conrad" does have a certain cachet ...

"What Else Did You Do On Your Holidays, Conrad?"
I thought you'd never ask!  I made "Jamaican-style Kidney Bean And Pepper Soup", from one of the handy (free!) booklets that you can get at the Co-Op.  Art?

     Obviously this doesn't give you a taste of the soup, although I can tell you it was nice.  Different, too - coconut milk being one of the main ingredients.  Thankfully I did not add too much of the Piri-Piri sauce found lurking on a shelf in the fridge, as it is incandescently hot.  Enough remains for a second helping tomorrow.  Gluten-free, vegan-friendly and three of your five a day, so I'd say a winner for dinner.



*  You see, you can do it!  Pain is such a wonderful motivator.
** Tee hee!

No comments:

Post a Comment