Search This Blog

Monday 16 February 2015

Inter Milan

Yes, Indeed!
If you happened to be in Italy, country of tomatoes and Torino, and you were on the Autostrade 4, also known as the "Serenissima", heading east from that very same Turin, then after 120 kilometer you'd be heading inter Milan.
Image result for autostrada a4 milano
Hay Pesto!
Right, I've Got A Lot To Wibble On About Tonight, Let's Get Cracking
First up, New Musik.  No!  I'm not mayking* a typo, it's the name of a band.  They were around in the early Eighties and Conrad had cause to recall one of their single hits the moment he stepped out of the house this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbJIu_na4gY

     Can you guess what it is?
     Yes, "This World Of Water".  Man, it was wet this morning.
Image result for wet wet wet
NO!  Art Department - O I can't be bothered.  Let it be.
"By Dint"
Came across this in that priceless 1937 tome "History of the Seventeenth Division", where they succeeded in biffing the Boche** for six "By dint of hard work".
     Conrad, as ever, is curious about words, and wondered where this one came from.
     Old Norse, it appears: "Dyttr", meaning "Blow" in the sense of being hit. From there you get the Old English "Dynt", and Modern English with "Dint" in the sense of putting an effort in to get a result.
Art Department apparently get results by dint of STUPID!
 I Say What's This?
Pea and Ham Soup, that's what.  Gluten and dairy-free, which Wonder Wifey didn't know, which is why it's still sitting in the fridge.
Yes, very green, but it's supposed to be that colour.
   That's not all I made yesterday, there was also -
Image result for fog

      What the hell is this?  Art Department, explain yourself!
     <muttered conversation in the wings>
     "A pea souper".  I feel the urge to impale on a bamboo skewer coming on ...

      <Thirty seconds of deep breathing and a Scotch later>

     - as I was saying, I also made this:

     Gluten-free Danish Honey Bread.  To be honest I overbaked it by a good 25 minutes.  However!  Conrad's Rules apply - I made it so I am damn well going to eat it.  
     I have only broken this rule once, when I made a horrid bland watery soup that nevertheless had so much West Indian Pepper Sauce in that it went radioactive, and also down the drain.

The Mobile Newton
I refer, of course, to the 6" Newton Mortar, vintage early 1917 onwards in the British and Commonwealth forces.
     Once again referring to the "History of the 17th Division", at one point in the narrative, during the "Hundred Days" when mobile warfare suddenly arrived, the author mentions "Mobile Newton Mortars", which is quite a feat.  A little illustration:
NewtonMortar.jpg
Canadian troops having a little fun with high explosive.  What rascals!
      The barrel was nearly five feet long and the whole thing weighed a fifth of a ton, so Conrad is curious as to how they were made mobile.  Quite beside the mortar itself, each bomb weighed over fifty pounds.  If you had two mortars (remember, plural in the mention) with twenty five bombs each, you're talking well over a ton of ammunition.
Image result for mortar and pestle
Perhaps?
   Mister Hand, kindly go prod Art most severely with a really sharp bamboo skewer.  None of your merciful blunt ones.

More Of Pens, And More Pens
Darling Daughter commented on Facebook about this photo:

     Apparently three pens is excessive.  What a good job she hasn't seen this one!

Gerry Anderson Egonomics And Thunderbird 4
I shan't presume that you know what T4 is, and instead inform you that it is International Rescue's underwater rescue vehicle, viz:
Image result for thunderbird 4
All the 4's.  What, are they likely to mistake it for a different Tuunderbird?
     I'm sure you can see the relevance of an underwater craft, given that water covers most of the planet.  I'm sure you can also see that this underwater tiddler would take weeks to get from Tracy Island to any aquatic emergency.
     Problem solved!  Enter Virgil and his giant flying truck.
Image result for thunderbird 4 launch
House removals at competitive rates!
     From which descends the Pod carrying TB4:
Image result for thunderbird 4 launch
From the belly of the beast
Take note of those hydraulic arms that lower the door; we're not shown but they must close the door after TB4 departs, otherwise wave action would sink the Pod in minutes.
     What Conrad has to quibble about is how TB4 gets back inside the Pod.  It can only do this one way - blasting back up the ramp in a reverse of the way it left, which is rather dodgy; you cannot control the state of the sea and it would be easy to set the rockets and then get an assist from wave action, sending TB4 crashing into the back of the Pod.
     Then I realised the designers had factored this in, viz:
Image result for thunderbird 4
Lighing array - and collapsible bumper!
     Then there is the recovery of the Pod itself.  I don't believe this is ever shown, but to retrieve the container TB2 must be able to come down to wave level to dock with the Pod.  Only logical, right?  Thus we establish that TB2 can come down to wave level.
     If this is so, why does Virgil drop the Pod from a height of at least fifty feet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlZPWlRhZS4

  Proof, if it were needed, that Virgil is a bit of a git.  There's no suspension on TB4, so I hope Gordon has a well-padded seat.  You can imagine their pre-drop conversation:

Gordon (nervously): You're gonna drop me real low this time, right, Virgil?
Virgil: Relax, bro'!  It's not like we're dropping you onto solid ground.
Gordon: Yeah, but last time I bruised my ass so bad I couldn't sit for a week.
Virgil: Ha ha!  Oh, boy, that was so funny - you had to eat standing up!
Gordon:  And time before that I cracked my head on the overhead.
Virgil: Right - but you weren't wearing your Personal Protective Equipment, were you?
Gordon (sullenly): I hate that cap.  Makes me look like a canteen waiter.
Virgil:  You got it on now?
Gordon: No.  Why?
Virgil: You kinda distracted me.  Gotta drop you now or miss the zone.  No time to go low.
Gordon:  VIRGIL! YOU ASS-
SPLUNGE!

 - ohh my buns - I gotta get me a cushion for next time ...

That's enough for tonight, see you same batchannel tomorrow!

* Although here I am.
** Don't worry, German readers, we are all splendid chums now.

No comments:

Post a Comment