Search This Blog

Sunday 8 February 2015

Do You Dream In Colour?

Well, Do You?
Let me point out to the spellchecker and any visitors from Over The Pond that BOOJUM! utilises English English spellings*, so it is indeed spelled "Colour".
     No, I'm not talking about the Bill Nelson track "Do You Dream In Colour?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwRZ0HW9-aw

- although above there is a Youtube link for those who are interested.
     No, I mean - are you aware upon waking whether your dreams were in Vistavision Supermax Technisplendour, or boring old Monochrome?
     Conrad can affirm that he does, indeed, dream in colour as at one point in his trips across the light fantastic last night, he dreamed of anthropomorphic turkey's wearing pink woolen knitted onsies.
     Which is probably more information than you ever really needed to know.
The closest I can get

I Am Such A Sated Feller As I Am Full Of Frikadeller
No!  It doesn't mean anything rude.  Danish meatballs is what "Frikadeller" are.  I rediscovered a Danish cookbook bought from a car boot sale last year and which I'd done nothing more than skim up until now. Since I had some faintly dodgy cheap mince going spare, I gave it a go.
     Here is the raw slurry:
Frightfully pink, what?
This contained too much liquid, as Wonder Wifey presciently pointed out.  If I make it again there'll be less milk in it.  Once completed the finished results after being cooked in butter looked like this:
The last seven
     The total made came to 21 and I ate 16** of them, so Conrad at present is not at all hungry, although he might make some room for ice cream later.

Clocks
No!  Not the track by Coldplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc6d3xTKTXE

- although above there is a Youtube link for those who are interested.
     No, Conrad refers instead to his earlier mention this morning of how the old alarm clock was occasionally losing 20 minutes here and there.  Given that I need to be in work at a specific time, and that (being a sweaty rascal and all that) I have to have a shower of a morning, this chronoscopic animadversion*** is simply not acceptable.
The oldster and the whippersnapper replacement
     I can't complain about the old black plastic has-been, as we discovered it in the pillow-case of a National Trust dormitory twelve years ago.  Wonder how much fun it will be smashing it to bits with a hammer?

Tristero And Hydraulic Schematics
This only occurred to me when clocking global check valves the other day^.  Take a look at this symbol:
Squint a little and close one eye
     Maybe it's just me but it did remind me of the old "Tristero" symbol from Thomas Pynchon's "The Crying of Lot 49":
Yes?  No?  Maybe?  Conrad you're not right in the head?
Time To Balance Karma
Conrad, as you surely know by now, can pontificate, dissemble and procrastinate in prose at the drop of a pin, feather, hat or anvil^^.  This is useful at this point in tonight's blog as he's pretty sure the picture-to-text ratio is a bit high.
     What, then, to discuss?
     Well, how about my hex-and-counter wargame?
     You'd like that?  O you're too kind!  Don't worry, I won't try your patience or will to live.
     I started creating it back in 2007, with a long list of the different divisions involved in the notorious Third Battle of Ypres, possibly better known as Passchendaele.  Expect to hear a lot about this in 2017.  There were a lot involved, totalling about one hundred and thirty combined - for ease I left out the French as that would have added another layer of complexity for little real utility^^^.  Each division needed an order of battle of the units involved - the infantry battalions, artillery brigades, mortar units, machine gun companies, engineers, transport, signals, medical units, etcetera.
     Once I'd done that, very very slowly, it was time to create a set of rules, which is still  ongoing.  Then I need to mock up some counters and see if a game replicates reality or not, and if not, why then the rules need amending or possibly binning for a fresh start.
     So far we are up to Page 29.  This number might increase.
Passchendaele is a bit grim, so here's a lamb dancing in the road instead


*  - and measurements
** They won't keep so they have to be et.
*** I don't know if this is a proper word or not, but it sounds impressive, doesn't it?
^ A man's got to have a hobby, right?
^^ Anvils - still in use?  Who knows.
^^^ Sorry to any French reading.  Vive la France!

No comments:

Post a Comment