Search This Blog

Friday 7 July 2017

Arc, Arc, The Frogs Do Bark

Not Our Batrachian Friends -
 - but rather the  M83's across the Channel, and of course the frog cannot bark, not literally, though it makes a better hors d'oeuvres than a dog does.
     This topic came up at Pub Quiz last night, spurred on by a framed photo on the wall of the Pleasant Inn of the Arc De Triomphe. You know the one, that big Look At Me monument that Napoleon had erected in Paris.  Art?
Image result for arc de triomphe
As restrained as the M83s get
     Phil and Rosie have encountered 5 of them in various cities across Europe, most recently one in Bucharest, and the question then became: how many are there in total?  and why were they built?
     Conrad, ever ready to jump into an information vacuum, wondered if they were inspired by the consequences of the Code Napoleon, or the influence of the Age of Reason, or a love of classical architecture.  No definite answers as I haven't checked up on this yet - working eats up a whole lot of your day, you know - but it will bear further inspection.
     I'll get back to you on this one.
Image result for arc de triomphe bucarest
The Bucharest iteration
     Well, that had nothing whatsoever to do with astronomy, tanks, zombies or atom bombs, so I feel as if I'd let the side down.  
     Let the motley commence!

You What?
I feel I must protest - the Cryptic Crossword clue was "they experience periodic reversal from time to time (11)".
     Eh what say what?  Reciprocating engines?  The Earth's magnetic field?  Ping-pong balls?
     None of the above - "Sandglasses", which I had never heard of, and I bet you haven't, either*.  Like an hourglass.  In fact exactly the same as an hourglass.
     Bah!
Image result for empty glasses
Our glasses

The Return Of The Clerihews
But, first, seriously, why does nobody, ever ever EVER refer to The Mysterons as "Martians"?  Hmmm?   I'll tell you why; because there's simply no way that an alien superculture evolved on the Red Planet and left only a few buildings behind as a legacy.  Don't forget, buildings like those don't decay or disintegrate over time, they stay in place forever.  If there aren't any more of them, then that's because they are not from Mars; visitors, in other words.  
     Ah, but from where?
Image result for mysteron complex
All very suspicous if you ask me ...

     Anyway, back to the clerihews**.  

Philip Roth
Was a proto-Goth
He wore lots of black eyeliner
And played rock in A minor

     Constructed out of whole cloth!  Mr Roth is urbane, Jewish and from the looks of him has no idea what end of a guitar the noise comes out of.  Patently, he does not smear himself in ebon greasepaint.  Which means my clerihew is, for once, on target.
Image result for philip roth
For lying, I face the wrath of Roth

GA Henty
Wrote plenty.
He's rather forgotten today
Because of his imperialist way.

     Hmmmm.  Once again I stray into the territory of truth.  Ol' Hen did indeed write a lot, both novels and war correspondence, and he did have rather pro-Empire attitudes, which were fine in the 1880's but had kind of lost ground by the Thirties.  He did cultivate a splendid beard, however.  
Image result for ga henty
See?

Virginia Woolf
Liked golf.
She enjoyed putting on the green, 
And being a difficult rhyming scheme.

     That last part is very true - name me another word that rhymes with "Woolf".  If you can, send it in to BOOJUM! as a Comment, and I will ignore it as proof of your cleverness.  Have I read any VW?  I cannot remember.  Perhaps so - let me check -
     - lord aloft, no I haven't and don't want to.  "To The Lighthouse" - almost no dialogue, no action and the plot secondary to philosophical introspection.  I think I'd rather eat a dinner of ash than read this.
Image result for wolf
A woolf
Hell On The Buses
No!  I am not referring to that dreadful sitcom from the Seventies "On The Buses", although given my experiences today, actually being on a bus would be quite an achievement.
     Because I am working again - have I mentioned this yet?  about being back in work? - I have a long double bus ride to and from work.  The "From" bit is provisional, as I spent a total of 45 minutes waiting and waiting and waiting for buses. 
     I can now confirm that Stagecoach are every bit as inept as First Bus.  In a race to the bottom both are neck and neck.
     Bah!
Image result for hell on the buses
Art!  You mock me!


*  No mendacious boasting here, Tom.  We both know you haven't heard of it either.
**  Is that a sigh of relief I hear?

No comments:

Post a Comment