Search This Blog

Thursday 14 September 2017

Looking Tatty And Rattea

The Strain
As you surely know by now, Conrad – in addition to being an alien spy – has little to no restraint when it comes to matters of self-indulgence.  Yes!  Scoff the whole packet of Jaffa cakes; devour that whole roast ham; scrape the mould off that cake and finish it (you may detect a theme here) and so it is with books.  Tuesday being my day off, I acquired Volume 1 of “The Strain”, which comes in at 400 pages, and I’d finished it by close of business last night.
I am triumphant
     Like I said, no self-restraint.  Of course, this being the first of a trilogy, your humble scribe had to order Volumes 2 and 3 via Abebooks.  We shall see when they arrive.  Conrad is impressed by the level of detail and attention given to the rat, and indeed both authors admit their debt to a book devoted to the rat.  Called – and you’re probably ahead of me here – “Rats.”

The Rat As Hero And Villain
This was going to be an aside, but I got on a bit of a creative roll.  Rats, you see, by tradition have a bit of a bad press.  Conrad can sympathise; as you surely ought to know by now, he is continually trying to redeem the weasel’s reputation.  I like to think we make a difference.
     Your humble hack does not have the conventional attitude toward the rat, that they are either dirty or disgustrous or both.  I would be quite happy to have one as a pet (Jenny and Edna might differ in opinion), far more so than a tarantula.  Hold a rat in my hand?  Quite happy to!  Hold a tar – let us not go there.
     Now, one of the most sympathetic rat characters in literature is Rat – I didn’t make him up so don’t complain about lack of imagination – from “The Wind In The Willows”, although if we are being picky he’s actually a water vole.  But as drawn he looks quite ratty*. 
Image result for rat wind in the willows
A dancing rat.  You will not often see one of these
     Balance this with author Harry Harrison’s ‘Stainless Steel Rat’, alias Slippery Jim Di Griz, career criminal and thief, a thoroughly loveable rogue with a stern moral compass – Thou Shalt Not Kill being his prime one.
Image result for stainless steel rat
Rat art by Harry himself
     Rather more amoral is the Rat King from Alan Moore’s “The Ballad of Halo Jones”, being a composite collective-mind (too small to be a hive) of five rats, that together organise entire armies of rats.  Literal armies; waging war via rodent, one might say.  Also illegal.  In fact, so illegal that the guilty party arranges for an accidental nuclear attack to cover up the traces**. 
Image result for rat king halo jones
Really, some people have a very strange imagination
     Then there’s the telepathic rat colony in “Deus Irae”, who try to dine on Carlton Lufteufel, only for him to turn the table with incendiary grenades and dine on them.  Hey, don’t knock it till you’ve tried it***!
Image result for deus irae ratsImage result for roast rat

Carrier Command
Oh dearie me.  As I mentioned yesterday in passing, that aged computer game “Carrier Command” is available as abandonware. 
     “Of what do you speak, Conrad?” I hear you ask.  “And is there an app for it?”
     Abandonware refers to computer programs, usually games, that are ancient by today’s standards.  They are so old that the commercial entities that created and sold them are long gone, or the rights have been transferred in a hopelessly complex tangled mass.  The very designers are probably dead or retired and living on Oriskany.  However, the games themselves are still viable, just not for sale anymore, and you might need to run them on an emulator if they’re old enough.
Image result for carrier command
Ah, forgotten youth ...
     Why is this a problem?  Because nothing eats up your time WITH NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT more than computer games, with the possible exception of Twitter pun tweets.  Just as Conrad cannot resist said Tweets – and will probably end up doing them tonight, before Pub Quiz – so too I doubt I can say “no” to Carrier Command FOR I AM WEAK!

A Tidal Wave Of Toxic Terror!
Just because I need a short article to get up to count, and people are scared of rats, I thought I’d Google for an image of an enormous mass of them stampeding towards you, the viewer.
Image result for horde of rats
Freaking and squeaking!
     I know, I know, I can be horrid that way.

Damn Your Eyes!
A little harsh, yes, but Conrad is still reeling a little from see that the cheapest copy of “The Founding Of Evil Hold School”, the cheapest mind you, still clocks in at £60.  I fondly recall reading this book as a smaller version of myself and enjoying it immensely, which memory will have to sustain me; the only literary thing I’ve paid £60 for was a set of maps in the Official History of the First World War, and that was a one-off.
     £60!



* In the sense of being rattish, not in the sense of being tatty.  Ah me how English discriminates against the rat!
**  A tad over-reacting, one feels

***  Roast rat, obviously, not attempting to slay one’s fellow with phosphorus grenades

No comments:

Post a Comment