Search This Blog

Sunday 19 June 2016

Nick Mason - The Drummer On "Ummagumma"

 Ha!  Fooled You
Although the blog title is factually correct, it has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of this post, instead merely serving as a reminder of Conrad's ruthless determination to drive up blog traffic by any means necessary.
     Actually Nick is the drummer on all Pink Floyd's records, as he's now the only member of the band to have been in it since day one -
Image result for nick mason
Back in his Hairy days
     - but I digress*.
     Let us look at where I have reached in "On Thermonuclear War", the seminal tome by Herman Kahn that covers a lot more ground than you might imagine.  Herm is now looking past the year 1960 to issues that might appear in the future - from his position in 1960 - in 1965 and 1969, postulating that a World War be fought at these dates.
     He has a few interesting hits - a successful Moon landing by 1969, for example - and some equally interesting misses.  The Californium Bullet hasn't been developed, which is a bit of a mercy, since a rifle-round made up of this stuff would impact it's target with the equivalent of 10 tons of explosive.  Which would definitely make your eyes water.
     The nuclear-powered plane never got off the ground, either**.  Good!  The Health and Safety implications of this are very worrying indeed.  Art?
Image result for skyflash thunderbirds
The Skyflash
     Gerry Anderson, always decades ahead of his time, pointed out the problems of a nuclear-powered aircraft in the cutting political docu-drama "Thunderbirds".  This beast couldn't remain airborne more than 90 minutes before inflicting a fatal dose of radiation on the passengers and crew.  Since it could travel anywhere in the world in only 30 minutes this wasn't a problem, except when it got sabotaged ...
     You see, Herm?  You see!  How irresponsible can you be, you and your atomic aircraft.
     I would also like to point out that Herm is pitching his hypothetical World Wars in 1961 and 1969, whereas in real time we came close to grief in 1963, with the Cuban Missile Crisis.  Herein a link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_Missile_Crisis

     This resulted from the Sinisters trying to place nuclear-armed ballistic missiles on Cuban soil, putting the entire South Canadian eastern seaboard at risk.
     My earlier post today was about Bad Ideas, wasn't it?  Well, the Sinister's Bad Idea probably comes close to the very top of the list of Very Bad Ideas INDEED.  It didn't come down to nuclear war "toe to toe with the Rooskies", quite, but it was a close call.
Image result for nikita khrushchev
"Conrad!  I am so sorry."
Phew!  I was going to add in an article about North Korea's atomic foofoodilly programme, except that would be piling grim upon grumpy, so let us have something a little less horrid.

The Animals Speak
Yes, actually, Nick Mason was the drummer on "Animals" except he only played and doesn't have any creative credits pre-
     NO!  Stop distracting me!  This is nothing to do with Pink Floyd.  I am talking about Edna, who was up in the Upstairs Lair earlier, slobbering and whimpering in equal parts, for no good reason.  I'd been up on the couch with her for ages, so she had no excuse.  Art?

     Now, if you remember earlier this year I was able to translate bird speech into human, so I just rejigged the MacGuffin to translate from human to dog, and here's the transcript:

     "Bleedin' selfish humans, neglecting me all the time, it's so unfair, I'm so bored, I'll just lick meself, you humans should be ashamed of yourselves, neglecting your dog so croolly all the time when I bring so much brightness and amusement into your horrid shallow lives, I bet if I died RIGHT NOW you'd all be sorry, yeah, except it'd be TOO LATE wouldn't it, but you probably wouldn't even notice would you because your all WICKED NEGLECTFUL HUMANS -***"  
     There was more, except it was all in the same mould and I don't want to bore you.
     That was Edna.  Jenny, on the other hand -

     She only had 3 words:
     "Yes, foolish human?"

Well, Well, Go To Hell
Not literally, please, I need you to keep reading the blog!  No, I refer to that splendid television series "Ash Versus The Evil Dead", which has apparently just wrapped the second season.
     Let me just savour those words again.  "The second season of Ash Versus The Evil Dead".
     No, it doesn't get old.  Here's a screenshot.  Art?
There you go
     Yes, I noticed that, too.  An awful lot of attractive young ladies.  I'm sure this is purely coincidental and has nothing to do with publicity or promotion purposes.

A SPECTACULARLY Bad Idea!
We appear to be rolling with a couple of themes here - Bad Ideas and the Evil Dead.  You can acknowledge my accidental completely planned brilliance later.  Take a gander at this.  Art?
Erk.  Also, Gadzooks.
     Conrad had no idea such a thing existed, because if he did then he'd have probably hired Mack Bolan to come in and wipe out everyone involved.  
     Don't forget, your humble scribe HATES ALL MUSICALS! 
     <sound of phone ringing>  "Hello?  Hello?  Ah - Mack!  Listen, I may have a job for you.  Yes, yes, I will pay you this time.  No, in dollars, not Hungarian forints. Okay, there's this musical I want you to scope out ..."



* I do this a lot.  It's why people hate me.
**  Do you see what - O you do.
*** All spelling and grammatical mistakes courtesy Edna Wunder Hund

No comments:

Post a Comment