Search This Blog

Monday 31 August 2015

It's Mirror Spock - Do Not Mock!

I Refer, Of Course, To That Obscure Cult Sixties Show - 
"Star Trek".  And the episode "Mirror Mirror", which I like lots.  Lots!  It just goes to show, with a bit of a nudge the United Federation of Planets could have ended up a lot more interesting evil. Which is a bad thing.
Image result for mirror spock#
Mirror Spock.  Rational, analytical, and a little bit evil.  Which is a bad thing.
     Also, it would have made the plots a bit simplistic.  "Kirk encounters a mysterious object in space AND BLASTS IT TO ATOMS IMMEDIATELY!"  "Kirk encounters a planet where the population consists solely of women AND IMMEDIATELY ENSLAVES THEM ALL!"  "The Enterprise's landing party vanishes inside a mysterious chateau stra - WHICH IS IMMEDIATELY BLOWN TO BITS!*"  "The Enterprise - AND BLASTS IT TO ATOMS IMMEDIATELY!"
     You get my drift.

Some People Have Entirely Too Much Time On Their Hands
Since we haven't been hit with the Coincidence Hammer today**, I think it's time to wheel out today's Ironic commentary.  Please gasp in awe and wonder at the below:
Behold the Buckaroo
     Someone has gone to a considerable amount of time and effort to recreate the secret base of Buckaroo Banzai, in a great deal of detail.
     I suppose I cannot expect more than "Huh?" and "Who?" and "Who ate all the dip?" from you film Phillistines, eh?  Here is a link to Youtube that will allow you to educate yourselves on what the first poster says, without exaggerating in the slightest: This is one of the most original films ever made, and one of the most criminally underrated. 

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=buckaroo+banzai

     Now, I hope you are better informed.  Remember - "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension" - you heard it here first.

QUICK ANSWER ME!  What is the surname of Michael Pena's character in "End of Watch"?

You What?
The Twits are at it again.  Honestly, for every single appropriate "Suggested Post" - for which read "Thinly Disguised Advert" - they bombard your hapless correspondent with fifty sets of drivelling fractious nonsense.  The evidence:
I despair at the human condition***.
     Where do they generate this execrable rubbish from, and how?  I do not work in a bank, I have never worked in a bank, I do not wish to ever work in a bank, and - if by some immense cosmic joke carried out by the Q^ that meant I did end up in a bank - there is NO WAY ON EARTH I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN A MOBILE PHONE NETWORK!
     Let me put that another way:  there is NO WAY ON EARTH I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN A MOBILE PHONE NETWORK!
     Yes, I realise that's the same way again, but I feel so strongly I felt like making a point.


A Short Discursion On Food And Drink
Yes indeed.  Not everything that Conrad attempts turns out properly.  Today I tried to make mayonnaise, and ended up with this:



     Although unclear in the photograph, this is in fact a repellent oily slop that went down the drain shortly afterwards.  I believe the technical term for this failure is "split", probably caused by adding oil too quickly.  It took ages to make, too.
     On the positive side of the balance sheet, we have Beetroot Burgers:


     They taste a bit sweet, which is probably because your humble scribe used cooked and pickled beetroot, as they were the only ones available.  The texture is fine, though.  I may try again with the uncooked version.
     And here we have an act of heresy:

     That's a Stella Artois Cidre glass that was being handed out free at the Electric Goldfish Bowl last Monday.  Since I was away on leave, my very good friend Manisha purloined one for me, and do you know the Old Golden Hen tastes even better out of the wrong kind of glass!
     I couldn't get a close-up of the rawhide chew that is being chewed upon here:

     - because possessive and jealous Edna assumed anyone coming close to HER rawhide chew wanted to thieve it away, and she would dart off with it, growling.

Okay enough food and drink, let's turn to existential horror.

Frankenstein (1931)
I am watching this for the first time in decades and realised I remembered very little of it.  Although I have read the novel on which it is based, thank you.  The film itself appears to be based on a play, judging from the credits, derived from the novel.
     Just think, in four year's time the novel itself will be two hundred years old.  Mary Shelley probably didn't think her little Gothic romance^^ would have legs like that.
     Here's a screenshot of Henry and Fritz, his assistant, carrying out their evil deeds.  Which are bad.
Henry and Fritz do the Monster Dash
     It's probably the least of his worries, but Henry Frankenstein really would get shut down if the Health And Safety Executive inspectors called round - all that exposed wiring and electric arcs ...

Dammit, already over the word limit and I had so much to add.  Maybe later.

Tally ho!

* Landing party included.  Hey, the Empire doesn't reward failure!
** Yet.
*** Fortunately I'm not one.
^ Sorry, another Star Trek reference
^^ It's a pretty short novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment