Search This Blog

Wednesday 26 August 2015

It's Ensign Chekhov - Eating Some Scoff!

For The Sake Of Those -
 - whose misfortune it is not to live in  England's green and sceptred isle, I shall explain that "scoff" is vernacular* here for "food".
     Here you go:
Old Russian tradition; no fork, just finger
     Okay, he may not actually be eating that roast chicken, but he's close enough to it with a certain gleam in his eye - that'll do.

"Agatha Christie's Poirot"
What, so it's not confused with any other author's Poirot?  Shades of Douglas Fairbanks Junior here, I fear.
     Anyway, "The Adventure of Johnnie Waverley" - I worked it out straight away even though I've not seen it before.  I shan't pitch any spoilers, although for continuity purposes that guinea cheque in a glass frame was no longer on the wall of Poirot's office-cum-apartment.  I did pick up that the episodes are set in 1935 and onwards.
     Now, take a look at this:
A simple scene from the programme, right?
WRONG!
     What makes a period programme a lot more challenging to produce than one set in contemporary times is visible above.  Don't forget, this is 1989 and you haven't got digital trickery to resolve problems.  This scene only lasts a few seconds but to get it right you need to have the right lighting and weather conditions or continuity goes out the window.  You need period cars, both runners and static ones.  You have to have period clothing and uniforms.  The set needs to be blocked off to prevent the public, either on foot or cars, intervening, and you've got to have it blocked off long enough to allow several takes, if need be.  Finally, you've got to make sure nothing anachronistic is in shot - street lights, traffic lights, road markings, television aerials, telephone boxes.  Quite a challenge, as I said!

The Foobs Are At It Again
Yes indeed, with a stupid "Suggested Post" that is nothing more than an advert.
     An advert, moreover, for a brand of air-freshener.
     Directed at Conrad.
     WHO HAS NO SENSE OF SMELL!
"First you may smell vanilla -"
     I don't think so!
     Get out of here with your perfumered prattery!

However, By The Law Of Averages -
Even those pratwinkles** the Foobs get it right - by complete accident, mind you - once in a while.  Voila -
A beer Conrad likes and even drinks occasionally
     I even have a "Hobgoblin" tankard in the cupboard somewhere.

NCIS
I watched another episode of my Guilty Pleasure today, and only afterwards realised why the corpse of a ne'erdowell hadn't been visible in a previous episode.  I was a little puzzled by today's episode, where they described one victim as having been crucified, and then didn't show it.  "This episode may have scenes not suitable for small children" warned the stern voice before the programme began, so I was execting goe.  Sorry - GORE.
Image result for AL GORE
Art! You moron -
     Then there was Abby with some screws, and I wondered where they came from and what their significance was, as they were covered in gunk that had triggered a severe allergic reaction in the crucified victim.
     You're ahead of me here already, aren't you?
     These programmes are going out pre-watershed, so the really gruesome stuff has been cut, which then causes a bit of a hiccup in the plot and what's on-screen.
     Also, Michael Weatherly (the DiNozzo character) had a cracking opening sequence - a terrific sprint, brief running gun battle and a dive off the pier, twice, before doing underwater stunts.  He earned his pay that day!
One is the stuntman, one is not.
     Oh, typing up notes yesterday for my Index - don't worry, won't bore you with the details - what did I see written several months earlier?
     "NCIS infodump"

I'm Either Famous Or Infamous
I can't decide which I'd rather be.  Since the only Commenter on BOOJUM! tends to be me, I can't ask you to vote for which you'd prefer.
     Anyway, why am I gloating?  Because this -
There you go
     Quite why "The India Daily" picked up your humble scribe's drivelling natter is a bit of a mystery as I don't think I've insulted India on the blog yet***.

Edna's Distractions
We at the Mansion have discovered that the handles on the lower kitchen cupboards are set at a significant height.
     You're not going to guess so I shall just have to show you:

     They are set at just the right height to distract Edna when we (only ever briefly) dash off and leave her.  We put a small dog treat on all the horizontal surfaces and she can either just reach one paw high enough to knock the treat off, or a good lick will unbalance it.
     Quite frankly her problem-solving skills are a bit worrying.




* "Slang" - translation courtesy Mister Hand
** I made this up myself.  It sounds rude but isn't actually meaning BOOJUM! can still be read by small children.
*** Give him time - Mister Hand

No comments:

Post a Comment