Search This Blog

Thursday 27 August 2015

I Say Scotty - You Look A Bit Potty!

Well He Does!
Trust me, this combination of 22nd Century uniform and Scottish tartan really does not work.  I would guess the producers were trying to add a little verisimilitude and character depth and, spurred on by the "Scott" part of "Mister Scott", decided that a bit of tribal plaid was in order.
The evidence!
     Of course, if he was cradling a set of bagpipes then that would cover up most of the horrid scarlet polyester.    
Image result for star trek scotty bagpipe
Not hitting too many stereotypes, am I?
Or an extra-specially large haggis.
Image result for giant haggis
Right there.
     I'm sure I've used that Giant Haggis in a blog from ages ago, but I can't be bothered to look it up*.

The Great British Bake Off
An analysis rather swifter than last week's.  As ever your humble scribe tries to be punctual but, what with plotting world domination six hours per day, my time is limited.  Allow me to elucidate, with the odd comment.
     Signature: Creme Brulee.  These are custards with a caramel glaze on top, tricky-looking little rascals that Conrad has steered well clear of.  Essentially you have to bake a custard and then top it with the glaze, and timing is an issue.  Overcook and you get scrambled egg; undercook and you get a thin yellow slime.
Image result for league of gentlemen creme brulee
NO!  Art, I'm going to get the Tazer -
     Nobody did very well, Paul and Sandy doing especially badly.  As I said (ART!), tricky -
Image result for creme brulee
The desired result
     Technical: Spanish Windtorte (I think).  I've tried a torte before, and it turned out badly, but this appears to be a different beast. French and Swiss meringue, filled with fruit and scattered with violets.  You have to watch meringues, judges like them to be a pristine white, so Alvin's ivory version didn't go down well, nor did Mat's or Nadiya's.  Guess who came first?  Paul.  This chap is making a habit of coming back fighting.
Image result for spanish windtorte paul bake off
Paul, giving his all
     I always feel sorry for the contestants in the Technical as they're operating on less than minimum recipe information.
     Showstopper: Baked Cheesecake.  Three of them, in a 3D design.  In five and a half hours, no less, which is pushing it.  You have to watch a baked cheesecake for shrinking and cracking in the oven, so it's best to sit it in a pan of water - which Tamal did.
     Ian, Wonder Wifey's object of derision, did well, as did Tamal - he remembered the water in the oven tip and Mat too, and Nadiya's looked impressive:
Image result for great british bake off cheesecake
It's the BBC - you couldn't have a can of Coke
     Now, who got Star Baker and who got sent home?  SPOILERS AHOY!











Star Baker = Ian - we're going to have to watch this chap
Going Home = Sandy.  No random meat pies.

The Rather More Diminutive Royton Bake Off
Today I baked  gluten free Carrot Cake from the Phil Vickery cookbook, as there were carrots that needed using up.  According to Wonder Wifey it tastes fine, although it does have a marbled texture.  I can't recall if I've made it before and it had the same failing.

     Since it tastes okay I shall carry half into work tomorrow for the ganterpies in the office.



Nope.  The Coincidences Have Not Stopped
It was a bit much to hope for.  Discovering that an intercontinental cruise missile armed with a huge 4 Megaton warhead had been postulated and designed but not built, and had been dubbed "Boojum" is a bit much.  Although it didn't have the exclamation mark of BOOJUM! which makes all the difference.  Right?
     As you ought to know by now, I am watching a whole lot of "Poirot", as I feel it a bit redundant to add the "Agatha Christie" to the title.  What promptly crops up on the BBC website?
Right.  Agatha Christie
     There you go.  Thank you SO much coincidence.  Do call again.  Oh you were planning to?

Following On From Which -
I am about to watch the episode "Triangle at Rhodes", which is intriguing - although not just for the vicarious thrill of trying to spot the murderer.
Image result for poirot triangle at rhodes

     This is shot on location, so a bit beyond the standard episode budget.  I've mentioned before about how complex it is to shoot scenes in the UK that have the correct period feel to them - 1935 - and if you're doing this abroad you'd need careful scouting of the location, not to mention interpreters, and local costume and uniforms.  I've checked shots of the harbour at Rhodes and, yes, they are actually shooting on location.  My suspicious mind** thought they might have done some beauty shots then shot the rest at Twickenham Studios.





* Aren't I a rotter!
** One of my finer qualities


No comments:

Post a Comment