Search This Blog

Friday 24 March 2017

Taking My Thyme

Also Garlic, Rosemary And Spicy Fries
I can also take my time, as I am on leave today and thus there is no need for an unseemly rush to get BOOJUM! posted before midnight wings it's way around.  You're only getting the one post, mind, because I do have other things to do.
     Eating being one of them.
     If you have been keeping track of visitors at The Mansion, as I surely hope you have as your lives hang on this being true, then you know that Darling Daughter has been up, visiting.  This is because she is off doing her part-time job on Mother's Day itself, so a little pre-empting took place.
     Thus it was that we ventured forth into Babylon-lite, as we who live nearby dub Manchester, to hie us hence to a frightfully trendy hostelry known as "Jamie's Italian".  Not entirely sure who this Jamie is.  Art?
Image result for jamie mccrimmon doctor who
Best we can do
     I know other blogsters will deluge you with photographs of food and stuff, which I can't be bothered doing as you can't smell or taste a load of text.  Here's the interior:
It used to be a bank, you know
     You could order food by the plank, which see here:
Very much an "after" shot
     Here's some background feature, pus Conrad and Sal:

     I think that's quite enough foodstuff guff.  Next!

More Of Missiles
As you ought to know by now, Conrad has a worrying prediliction for anything that goes BANG, and the bigger the bang, the more intense the prediliction.  Thus his passing fondness for nuclear weapons.  I'm not saying that I could build a gun-type fission weapon given enough uranium 238 (though I could), I just have a keen historical interest, officer.  
     And so to the XM775, an experimental jet-propelled cruise missile design of the late Forties, hailing from South Canada.  Art?
Related image
Piggyback style
     Here you see the missile in it's Convair B36 iteration, about to be air-launched.  Being sped on it's way by rocket-sled was another, much more exciting method.
     "Er - yes, quite, Conrad, another nuclear missile, thank you so much. And the reason?"
     Well, who needs a reason!  Actually there is one; this particular baby was given the name "Boojum", which ought to sound faintly familiar.

     A short pause whilst I go to fill my cup of tea -

FILM REVIEWS
Done in the inimitable BOOJUM! style, which is astonishingly literal and disregards any kind of research, unless I feel like it.  I can be arbitrary like that, it's why people love me*.  So let us ctitique -
     "Life": I do carp about bus posters being devoid of inspiration, and the opposite is also, very occasionally, true.  Take this title.  It is, to say the least, ambiguous.  "Life" concerning what?  The Life of Whom?  Eta?  Theta?  Kappa?  Lambda? <Mister Hand intervenes to prevent the whole Greek alphabet being used>.  A Life Sentence?  The Meaning of Life?  A Life For The Stars?  The complete tale about the evolution of Barney - your world's highest life-form - from primordial glop?
Image result for life film 2017
Dismissed by Darling Daughter as "The blob in space"
     "Chicago Justice": The city-specific prefix appears to be important, because of course - of course! - nobody would be interested in Tonopah Justice, or Truth Or Consequences Justice, or Ticonderoga Justice.  Or would they?  Perhaps we are to infer or imply that Justice, as she is delivered in the Windy City, is so very different from that meted out in other towns and cities across South Canada.  For example, if there is a "Z" in your name - then you automatically get acquitted!  On the other hand, if you have red hair and freckles, are over 5' 10" and are left handed - then by default you get 25 years!  Sorry about that.
     Of course, I could be overthinking this a bit ...
Image result for chicago world's fair 1893
The Chicago World's Fair 1893
Because it might be relevant
Finally -
I need another short article so I shall regale you with another of Britain's tidal islands, in this case the aptly-titled Asparagus island, so-named because wild asparagus grows there.       It is part of Kynance Cove in Cornwall, that part of England where they have nice ice cream and scenery.  Art?
Kynance 087.jpg
Kynance Cove
     That's Asparagus at left.  One reason it hasn't been stripped of asparagus by greedy thieving retailers is because you can only get there at low tide on what's known as a "tombolo" of sand.  Art?
Image result for asparagus island
Also not gifted with anything like a path
     You'd have to be pretty desperate for edible green stuff to try clambering over that.


*  Or is it hate me?  I have trouble remembering.

No comments:

Post a Comment