Search This Blog

Tuesday 14 March 2017

Led Zeppelin, I Know How You Feel

No, I Am Not Referring To "Black Dog"
Edna has brown and grizzled fur as well as black, thank you very much.  Nor am I about to shuffle off this mortal coil just yet, so "Stairway to Heaven" is also inappropriate.
     No, the song I refer to is "In My Time Of Dying" because - again! - your humble hack has been laid low by either a bad cold or a mild flu, and is consequently feeling very sorry for himself.  Edna, concerned, has been keeping me company.  I know you like proof of my assertions, so - Art?

     Here we are, both asleep.  Edna clearly gets the "Awwww" factor here, and Conrad undoubtedly looks "Ewww".  What can I say?  I didn't sleep well last night 
     - well, okay, I think that's quite enough maudlin self-pity.  Clearly you do not read BOOJUM! to be updated on all the ills that flesh is heir to*.
     So!  That there is my Chair Of Sickness, from which I can survey the street outside and see what passing bus posters might produce a spark of artistic inspiration.
     Furshluggineh First Bus!  Not only did the 24 not turn up last night, meaning I got home a good 15 minutes late, but they aren't putting any effort into their posters, either.
     Specsavers? Subway?  Lucozade?  For our South Canadian visitors, Specsavers is a national optician's, with little in the way of entertainment.  I mean, how can you make contact lenses sound interesting?  A sandwich is a sandwich and a bottle of fizzy pop is delicious yet all too often made with a sweetener rather than sugar, and contact lenses -
     Well, there are those lenses in "They Live" I suppose ...
Image result for they live
Yes, I KNOW they're sunglasses.  Shots of contact lenses are non-existent
FILM REVIEWS
You lucky people, you get to read what didn't get posted yesterday (due to me feeling ill and all**).  
     "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers": because we didn't thoroughly explore all the nuances of the original whilst belabouring the remake.  Conrad, frankly, cannot approve of that title - they miss out the "G" in "Morphin" AND DON'T USE AN APOSTROPHE!  Or - this is rather dark of me, I confess, did they miss out an "E" to retain a PG rating?  It's been a long time since I watched it, but wasn't there a trope whereby whatever monster they were fighting swelled to enormous size, and they also swelled to enormous size in Giant Robot Form?
Image result for mighty morphin power rangers megazord
Made up of hero and heroine, so to speak
     "Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them": They have to squeeze that subtitle in, and in small print, too.  Conrad would have gone for the first two words, but what do I know***?  Whilst being candid, I have to confess to seeing a <cough cough> version of this, except I missed the beginning so I remain hazy about what our hero is up to.  There was a suitcase, and a passel of magical creatures that seemed to have escaped, the whole lot set in Depression-era South Canada.  And why not?  Because the rest of the Potterverse seems to completely ignore our cousins across the pond.
Image result for boojum creature
A Boojum.  That's a fantastic beast, isn't it?
     "The Light Between Oceans": I've tried to creatively criticise this one before, to little avail.  What is the difference atwixt light between oceans and between continental land masses?  What about the North and South Atlantic, is there a mysterious difference in lux measurements between them?  Is there an invisibly thin demarcator separating the Indian from the Pacific Ocean?
     Well, back to the lab.  This film is obviously a documentary about heliographics.
Image result for heliographic
No!  It's the sun, not a mutant cannibal orange

The Salter Duck
What kind of duck is inherently inedible?
     Never mind clever quips about china ones sitting on the thingummajig in the corner, Conrad is talking about the wave energy device invented by Stephen Salter.  Art?
Image result for salter duck
Thus
     "But - but - why, Conrad, why? I hear you chorus.
     Why not?


*  If you do, however, I apologise and promise to be ill in future
**  Mister Hand apologises for this egregious display of humbug
***  Far too much about nuclear weapons and zombies for comfort, for a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment