Search This Blog

Saturday 25 March 2017

O Frabjous Day!

To Steal A Phrase From Lewis Carroll
You ought not, at this point, be asking "Who he?" because having Conrad call round with a lump hammer to smash your server can often offend.
     However, as I am in a good mood I shall explicate.  Lewis Carroll wrote "The Hunting of the Snark", which is not a typo for "Shark".  We'll get onto sharks later.  This particular nonsense rhyme features the Boojum, which ought to ring a bell, however faint and distant.
     Anyway, the title phrase comes from "Jabberwocky" and it means whatever I want it to mean.  In this case, a nice warm sunny day.  Art?

     If you do not hail from these parts then you do not know that we have to make the most of what sunshine we get.  Of late we have been most definitely living in the Pond of Eden, and now that the sun has come out I confidently predict that Tandle Hill Park will be rammed, with cars parked up for half a mile before the entrance gates.
     So it proved when I took Edna for a walk.  Art?
Cars and lots of them
     I didn't care, I wasn't trying to chase after a dog off it's leash in the forest undergrowth; I had been fortified by a low-GI breakfast.

     Enough of fun in the sun!  Let the motley, now bereft of stabilisers yet sporting a set of go-faster stripes, be on it's way!

The Brain - Still Working
Yay, to borrow an hideous South Canadian exclamation.  I only use it because "Hooray" is rather dated.  What I am gloasting about is having done the Easy Sudoku, and the Alphamuddle and having hit 25 words for the Wordsquare (the 9-letter word was "Piecemeal".  This is proof that the grey matter is still ticking over, which is good as I've been ill <Mister Hand redacts a long boring story>.
     Right - I wrote - I've fought and wrought with words long enough, time to take Edna for a walk.  Which I did, evidence the park photo above.  Then there's this:
The evidence
     Enough gloasting - let us continue with more arrant nonsense.

A Review Of Films
Actually this initial one is a television series, but I didn't think you'd mind our stretching the envelope as regards definitions.  You are getting this for free, after all.  Proceed!
     "Quantico": After 'Chicago Justice" we have this, moving from police to paramilitary. The name refers to the training site for the FBI, and we are apparently alongside the trainees as they - er - train.  
Image result for what does one million pennies look like
Quantity.  100 million pennies.  Will that do?

     One is not over-impressed with the tagline "Trust no-one".  Surely in a job like theirs you HAVE to rely on a few people, at the very least?  Or you're probably going to give yourself early retirement through hypertension.
     Here a horribly shallow aside.  Remember that elite team in "Sabotage" whose sole female member looked as if she'd fallen face-first out of the cab and been dragged thus for forty blocks?  Well, the female lead here, Priyanka Chopra, suffers no such problems, I'm happy to say.  Otherwise <thinks quickly> it would impact on the plot.  Yeah.  That's right, the plot.
Image result for priyanka chopra 2013
Priyanka, being as saucy as allowed on BOOJUM!


An Evocation
Here's a picture to conjure with.  Art?

     I hope you appreciate this, it took ages to contort myself into a position on the bus seat that prevented the camera icon from rolling onto it's side or back.
     So the picture: evocative, eh?  Looks a bit like a Blue Oyster Cult cover.  Anyway, look at the artists.  I recognise some of these: Swans, Royal Trux, The Fall.
     Here an aside.  I hate The Fall and have done since day one ("Bingo-master's Breakout").  Conrad does not care if Sir John Peel loved them to bits, I am consistent and sustained in my utter antipathy.
     With that out of the way, I'm not sure about This Is Not This Heat, as I still recall their 1975 debut on the John Peel show, especially that very weird track about the Ambassador's wife. Didn't she eat the carpet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85tq95dhySU

     There's a link.  Be warned, it's not for everyone.  In fact it's not for nearly everyone, which means I like it.
     The punchline to the above is that - I shall not be going.  Late notice for one thing, and the venue is Victoria Warehouse, which has all the ambience (and acoustics) of a coal bunker, absent the coal.
Image result for victoria warehouse manchester
See what I mean?  Coald.







No comments:

Post a Comment