Search This Blog

Sunday 19 March 2017

I Don't Have A Siamese Cat -

 - Will This Border Terrier Do Instead?
I refer, of course, to that cinematic trope of the Evil Mastermind Petting His Cat, which seems to have been established as both icon and cliche in the same moment by the Bond films.  Ernst Stavro Blofeld, doncha know, and his pedigree Margrave Leuweenhoek The Third, later spoofed as the considerably more down-to-earth "Mister Bigglesworth" in the Austin Powers films.
Image result for blofeld cat
Okay, maybe a Persian
     You out there are probably too young to remember that peculiarly British television satire, "Spitting Image", which featured caricatures of the famous.  The Labour MP Gerald Kaufman used to get portrayed as a Blofeld-lookalike, complete with cat and sinister accent.  I think this is all safely distant enough for us to allow the merest taint of political miasma to befoul BOOJUM!s air.  Art?
Image result for gerald kaufman mp
Er - considerably less sinister than advertised.
     I met the man whilst acting as an polling agent, as he made a point of visiting everybody who was working the polling stations.  Very tall and impeccably well-spoken, sadly no cat.
     Which brings me to me, in case you were wondering.  Art?
Behold that sneer of cruel command.  And my expression, too
     Wonder Wifey took this well-timed shot of me giving the Wunderhund a neck massage; one second earlier and my face would have been contorted in an hideous rictus that people call a "grin".  Not really what you want to see over your roast on Sunday.
     Well!  I do apologise for going on, rather, about a single photo, but that's why people love me.  Or was it hate me?

Back To Bus Posters
It's in the Facebook brief, I have to resort to it by charter, there's simply no getting away from it.
     This particular source of inspiration tends to be a bit feast or famine.  Yes, I have been inspired by those promoting films, which is the feast part.  The leaner times comes with feeble presentations like sandwiches or contact lenses, or "Unlocked Phones".  
Image result for mount etna
Unlocked phones are boring.  Have Mount Etna erupting instead
     Firstly, Conrad remains highly suspicious of all phones, all the time; they are still very much on probation and will be for the next generation at least.  To him they consist of a method by which people you do not want to talk to and have 0% interest in can pester you in the sanctity of your own Mansion*.
     Secondly, your humble scribe isn't entirely sure what this "Unlocking" business is.  It sounds illegal, frankly, and I don't want to give those interfering swines from UNIT any more excuses to interfere.  And illegal is bad.

What On Google Earth?
I have long given up on passing unappreciative and venomous comments about the Foobs and the Twits and their idiotic Suggested Posts, because time and my patience are both limited.  Not only that, I don't want to bore you, gentle reader.  Atom bombs and zombies - fine.  Portable lumber mills and how to date Russian women - not so.
     So it brought me up short on Friday when my eyes were accosted by this.  Art?
Not, literally, Google Earth
     I strongly suspect - the green colour and the dancing shamrocks tend to incline one - that this is to do with Saint Patrick's Day.  I understand that this means the New York City Police Department dye the river green and drink Guinness and Bushmills all day long; something like that, right?  If, however, I were a citizen of the Emerald Isle, I think I'd take askance at my native country depicted as Rockall painted green, population two anthropomorphic weeds.
     Of course, I could be overthinking this ...

Clerihew!
And today I shall shift my evil eyes from the neighbourhood of the Pond of Eden - though given our recent weather perhaps I should use "Lake" - and focus on South Canada.  Here goes with one of my favourite authors:

Man of letters Ambrose Bierce
Was well-known for being fierce.
His secret was a morbid fear of tripe;
It was his life-long burdensome gripe.

Harry Truman was a gunner.
Those he shelled thought him a scunner.
It's a given that, when hit by a shell,
You don't like the firer very well.

     There you go!  And for your information, Harry S. Truman did serve in the artillery whilst in the American South Canadian Expeditionary Force in the First Unpleasantness.
Image result for harry truman ww1
Harry, looking quite belligerent




*  In other words, thoroughly un-British.


No comments:

Post a Comment