Search This Blog

Tuesday 17 November 2015

Where Eagles Dare -

- And Conrad Cannot Not Follow
I've decided to give up on the "Where Eagles Dare" drinking game, as it can't be done on a school night, and trying it on Saturday led to the recognition that, if followed to it's conclusion, I wouldn't be able to see where the television is, let alone watch Doctor Who.  It's the latter half that really kicks your liver in the teeth (I know, I know, a mixed metaphor) and the instruction "Take a drink every time a German dies".  Clint, I believe, offs 95 of the bally Hun and that alone is enough to make a man wince.
Image result for clint eastwood where eagles dare
Clint.  Cirrhosis on legs.
     However!   All is not lost.  Conrad has another game, one that a hair-splitting pedantic bore like himself can dip into and out of, without beer overflowing out of his ears.
     You see, I've been over to the IMDB page for WED, and copied out the "Goofs" list, and as threatened before, I'm going to watch the whole film and make notes on ALL the goofs listed.
     An example:

During the briefing, early in the movie, the team is told that General Carnaby had been on his way to meet with his Russian counterpart regarding D-Day plans and that the meeting place was to have been Crete. That would be impossible as Crete had been seized in a German airborne assault in the spring of 1941 and remained in German hands until the war ended. Moreover, the Western Allies would not share top secret operational plans with their Soviet Allies.


     This is a case of half-right, half-wrong.  We never find out what date the film is set in, although early 1944 is reasonable.  The Germans did occupy Crete in 1941 but by 1944 their hold was restricted to the major towns and a joint Allied-Soviet mission could have met there, technically.  That bit about not sharing is nonsense, the Allies shared a lot more with the Russians than the other way round, and -
     But I digress.  You get the point, I presume.
Image result for where eagles dare cast
"But - but - you mean - we no longer rule Crete?"

Z Nation - "We Were Nowhere Near The Grand Canyon"
Consider this to be a reprise of yesterday's informative post.  Before we get there, can I point out a flaw in the previous episode?  Our gallant team are confronted by two zombified test pilots, whose flight-suits are bulletproof and it takes a point blank shot to the head from a rifle to finish them.  So - how did they end up as zombies?  Zombies don't have vanadium-steel incisors, do they?
     Anyway, back to the most recent episode.  I liked the end shots of how our gallant heroes, the Indians and Murphy dealt with the Zombie Horde -
Grand Canyon as Giant Zombie Land-fill
     I did wonder at the end credits, which I don't normally bother with.  Regardez:
"Second Second Assistant Director"
     Hmmm.  A position of such dizzying authority that they - stir the cast and crew's coffe cups?

"The Clicking Of Cuthbert" By Plum
Your humble and unsporty scribe has detected various words cropping up at regular intervals in this volume and decided to check up on them, as, for all he knows, Plum is playing the Thomas Pynchon game of convincing fiction*.  So, for your education and mine, here they are:
     "Foozle": To play clumsily or incompetently
     "Stymie": A situation with the ball that results in one player admitting defeat.

     I must admit that I thought "Stymie" to be American, as they use this expression.  It became obsolete in 1952, but you can forgive Plum for using it as his tome came out in 1922.

"Stemming The Tide" Edited By Spencer Jones
This book is a heavyweight.  Literally, it's printed on high-quality dense glossy paper and for it's size is disproportionately heavy.
Image result for stemming the tide spencer jones
Alas.  I bought my copy in Ian Allen
     Then it came up in the next Naval & Military catalogue at half the price <sad face>
     It also offers up Today's Coincidence.  Not ten minutes after I'd been looking up the definition of "Stymie", what did I read?
Right in the middle
     I'm sure there's a perfectly - DON'T SNEAK UP ON ME SILENTLY LIKE THAT!

Metric
NO!  Not the measurement system.  We here at BOOJUM! - even in our masquerade as a human being - refuse to abandon the Imperial system of measurement, as it was the counting of rods, perches, chains and gills that made this country great, or at least confused the opposition enough for us to get the first blow in.
Image result for metric
Feet and inches not good enough for you?
     Where was - oh yes.  Metric are a band, and I am grateful to Darling Daughter for the suggestion, as 2 of my 3 Music Advisers at work are leaving, so your ageing hipster (in his own mind at least) needs all the advice he can get.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=metric

     There's a Youtube link to their music.  I recommend you go off and listen**.



* I know it's all fiction, I meant fictional words within the fiction.
**  You don't have to, but it will go better for you when I achieve world domination.  Just so you know.


No comments:

Post a Comment