Search This Blog

Saturday 18 May 2019

I Posit - What Time Is It?

For Yes, We Are Back With "The Incredibles"
And you're going to simply have to put up with Conrad banging on about "What Year Is This Film Set In?" because I took extensive notes, and if I put the time in, you get to suffer/experience/enjoy (delete where applicable) what I did.  Except edited a bit, because I jump around the film in a non-linear fashion.
     Let us dive right in.  Art?
Bob Parr's police scanner
      My notes indicate that this bears a significant resemblance to the "Plectron" <ahem> 'Alerting Receiver', which is called same as calling it a 'Police Scanner' would land the maker and vendor in rather hot water.  Art?
Related image

     This particular piece of radio kit dates from 1965, which I expect you to remember.  Write it down, I don't trust your memory.
     Next item of evidence is a children's tricycle, which Art will illustrate -
Sorry for the synchrony artefacts
     This bears a notable similarity to the "Murray Tricycle" of Sixties vintage, except the Murray had spoked, not solid, wheels.  Solid easier to animate, one suposes.  Next!


     <excuse me whilst I go put the oven on and take a comfort break>

     The two images above are pretty obviously nothing like technology from the Sixties, the Seventies or even the Eighties, which Your Humble Scribe writes off by observing that they belong to that class of artefact known as Mad Scientist Technology, which falls outside contemporary timeframes.  I mean, the tablet truly belongs with other kit from the Noughties onward.  The second picture illustrates the Artificially Intelligent 'Omnidroid' - which we (thankfully?  regretfully?  Only you can tell!) don't have even as of 2019, and if some weenies have their way, we shall never attain.*
     Now for a series of clips featuring Edna's lab.  Once again, Mad Scientist Technology dating conventions apply.  Art?


Ignore the big fat oaf in the reflections
     As you can see, this technology is clearly Fifties-retro, obviously inspired by the production design of "Forbidden Planet"; all those blues and greys and dials and buttons and armatures - perhaps if we prod Art with this handy stun-gun he'll provide a little pictorial evidence -
Image result for krell lab
I rest my case
     I think we can leave the Intro at this point, as I have to drop the motley into a swimming pool filled with lime jelly - and at the deep end, too.

     Here an aside:  "Murder She Wrote" was playing and I recognised William Windom, playing the role of Cabot Cove's gossipy doctor.  It turns out to have been a sweet gig for this actor, as he went on to appear in the series 53 times.  A nice earner for your twilight years.
     You (and I) know him better as his stellar turn playing the doomed Commodore Decker in "The Doomsday Machine".  Art?
Image result for william windom star trek
"I left a sock in the underwear drawer!"

BOOJUM! Reviews Films
In the Conrad way.  That is, in an amazingly superficial way based only upon the title and with no thought for reality unless we feel like it, or if that's funnier.  If you want a proper review go see fellow Comsat Angel's fan Mark Kermode.
"Booksmart": That's me.  Books, books and more books.  It used to be that once a bound volume of paper as inspired by that Caxton chap got into my hot sweaty hands, it never left the house again <cackles and rubs hands>.  However, I have of late removed 40 books from The Mansion and taken them into work, for the lending library set up on the 18th floor.  These included quite a few murder mysteries, as one I've learned who did it and how and why, I am not likely to ever forget - one of the perils of having a mind like the world's biggest rubbish-dump.
     Oh, and this is a film that probably has some books in it.  Or something.
Image result for william caxton
William Caxton.  My hero.
"Hustle": Bustle.  Apparently there was a television series that ended in 2012, so why we get this kind of latecomer to the party is a moot point.  I never watched it.  Are the film suits hoping that a huge upwelling of nostalgia will get an audience through the doors?  I think this is just proof <Mister Hand redacts 4,672 words of whining complaints>.
     Or is it some dreadful grey documentary about life in the 21st Century and how we're all proceeding towards the Singularity, etcetera etcetera?  In which case, GO AWAY!
Image result for ladies bustle
Bustle.  Close enough.
"Fisherman's Friends": This title probably won't make sense to anyone who lives outside the environs of This Sceptred Isle, so a little elucidation won't go amiss.  Okay, Art?
Image result for fishermans friend mint
The article under debate
     When it says "Extra strong" there is no debate on the subject: your tongue goes numb after sucking one of these things, which are more like medicine than a sweet, and are VERY definitely an acquired taste.  Julian Clary, a.k.a. The Joan Collins Fan Club, used to have some smutty innuendos about these sweets, which I will leave you to imagine as we here at BOOJUM! are painfully SFW.
     Oh, and there's a film that probably has some boats in.  Or the sea.  Perhaps both.
Image result for robot
A row boat - no - hang on - 
     Actually that reminds me of Harry Harrison's hilarious take on an incredibly crude coal-powered robot, present in (I think) one of the Stainless Steel Rat novels.
Image result for coal-powered robot
Like this, except not quite as sophisticated.
(And a lot smaller)
     Well now, I have just finished scarfing some lunch, all the time watched by Edna with puppy-dog eyes: this is entirely understandable since she is a dog, and she did get a couple of morsels of bread.  None of the Southern Fried Chicken, however, as she is allergic to chicken and will suffer a scratching fit.  Also, Your Humble Scribe had to scrape a bit of mould off them, so they're probably on the verge of being dangerous for humans like you us.  So - obviously! - I couldn't have left them in the fridge to go any more off, could I?  That would be wasteful.  
     Also, it's time to post this and take Edna for a trot, whilst the rains hold off.
Image result for comsatangel2002 edna
The scamp in question

*  You wait and see, weenies, just you wait and see ....

No comments:

Post a Comment