Search This Blog

Sunday 10 December 2017

Weird Scenes Inside The Cold Mine

Topical!
Nothing to do with <hack spit> Current Affairs. No, rather I refer to the state of the world outside, covered with snow.  I have, just now, finally warmed-up from a state of near immobility this morning.  Indeed, the only parts of me that are warm are my feet.
     Anyway, I thought this would be an opportune moment to post a picture from one of my favourite films, one that isn't actually in the finished film itself.  Art?
Related image
Pretty scary - at a distance
     This is the final revelation of the composite monster at the end of "The Thing", made by the world's bravest documentary maker, John Carpenter.  Which is probably more "the"s in a sentence than needed.  Anyway, it was cut due to issues with running time, as John had to get the film edited and distributed before the South Canadian government could slap an injunction on it, the pikers.
     I am, perhaps, eliding "Cold"and "Mine" where the latter word is not strictly true: what we see is a sub-basement level of US Geological Survey Outpost 31, carved out of the ice to accommodate the base's generator.
     What's that?  You were expecting another article about The Doors, this one about an album they allegedly made called "Weird Scenes Inside The Gold Mine"?  Pshaw!  I don't believe a word of it.  And, even if they did - which I'm not admitting, mind - then it is simply an amazing coincidence.  Yes, just like all those other amazing coincidences about classic rock album titles of late.
     Anyway, I can settle a long-lasting debate about the film's final scene.  Art?
Image result for the thing childs
Here's the Thing - 
     Is one of the a Thing?  Or perhaps both?
     The answer is neither.  Don't forget, John was filming this and he'd never have got out of the wreck of Outpost 31 is either of these chaps wasn't a fully-fledged human being.  And to those who say he might be a Thing, well, it's been over 30 years and Hom. Sap. hasn't been supplanted.*
     I was going to put a Polish film poster of "The Thing" up here, except it's far too scary.
     Time to pour water over the motley and tie it to the nearest lamp-post!

Ooh, Ooh, Schadenfreude Ahoy!
It really isn't worthy of me, but I am anticipating the opening of Comments on the Beeb's sport website that deals with the ballfoot game.
     "Where is the real Conrad!" I hear you challenge. "He is well known for detesting the ballfoot game - release him -"
Here I am, in all my steely-eyed glory, as human as  - as - let me get back to you on that.
     Whoah, dude, chill out.  I maintain my contemptuous disregard for the game, still, there's no worry about that.  What I refer to is the inevitable torrent of invective that will be ladled by supporters of both Manchester City and Manchester United upon one another.  One team won, you see, so there's no mutually-satisfying draw today.
     That rustling noise is me rubbing my hands together in ill-disguised glee.**

Do You Play Bridge?
Conrad was intruiged by a story about protesters at the Trafford Centre in Gomorrah-on-the-Irwell, who are extremely fed-up about prolonged delays in bringing a bridge into service.  This new, travelling, bridge, is to take overflow traffic trying to reach the Trafford Centre, as currently the motorway cannot cope and there are horrendous traffic jams.  Conrad here points out that he's been to the Trafford Centre twice, which was once too often.  Art?
Image result for trafford centre bridge
New bridge in foreground, Barton Bridge in the background
     The bridge has only just been completed, but as yet no opening date has been given.  Locals are protesting about this delay, which has been due, in part, to a dramatic little event in May 2016.  Art?
Image result for trafford centre bridge
Hmmm.
     Briefly put, the damn thing collapsed.  The cables holding it up progressively failed on one side, then gave way completely on the other.  Twang twang, and that's a 500 ton platform lying askew.  A few construction experts pointed out that it's better if this happens before it opens, although Conrad can't help thinking it would be better all round if it didn't happen at all.  Just a thought.

Finally -
I realise I have set myself quite a task in attempting to make people Love The Shark, but what is life if not a challenge?  Anyway, I came across a game called "Shark Mania", which Art will provide a picture for.  Art?
Image result for shark mania game
Family-friendly shark
     I wasn't at all sure about this, so I followed the link to Youtube.  The idea is that you set up your shipwrecked pirates at one end of the array, and then throw a die to move down a causeway to safety.  And quickly, because a SHARK IS COMING TO GET YOU!  Art?
Note shark behind the purple playing piece, chewing up the causeway
     It made me laugh, but I suspect it would only divert for a few goes and then it'd go into the loft alongside "Mousetrap"



Yet.
**  Tee hee!  Oh, I just checked the Comments page - 215 comments in about 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment