Search This Blog

Monday 11 December 2017

Black Holes And Revelations

Oh My Yes Indeedy, Ally Sheedy!
If you have come to BOOJUM! by way of Facebook, then you may have read the slightly misleading blurb displayed by default, declaring that the blog is devoted to astronomy and tanks.  We do make mention of tanks, because they make my palms sweaty and heart beat faster, but astronomy does tend to take a back seat, unless something catches my eye.
Hmmm.  Not sure I'd want to be caught by these ..

     Here an aside.  Ally Sheedy was one of a brat-pack of actors who were the bright young things of the Eighties (I think - it's been a long time and my memory's not what it used to be) - I ought to check, oughtn't I? - yup, I  checked.  I think she's pretty much retired from acting now, instead going in for writing, which is a noble occupation and I wish her well.  There you go, up to speed on Ally.
     Back to astronomy.  An item on the Beeb website did catch my eye, about a monster black hole, what we in the trade term "Super-massive".  It sits at the centre of a galaxy 13 billion light years away, meaning that poor old light has a considerable commute to impact our eyeballs.  Why is this such a revelation?  Because it's far and away the most distant, and oldest, such black hole yet discovered, which helps all those boffins to ferret out the secrets of the Universe.
Quasar
Biggest Catherine wheel evah

     Here another aside.  You may recall that the Large Hadron Collider, which basically consists of whizzing atoms into each other at spectacularly high speeds, was going to destroy us all by creating a black hole in Switzerland.*  Thankfully not, due to the self-sacrifice of a Wonder Weasel Super Saboteur, who put the whole project back long enough for the kinks to be worked out.
Image result for large hadron dead weasel
The ultimate sacrifice

     What's that?  You anticipated a discourse upon an album by Muse that is, by an amazing coincidence, also entitled "Black Holes and Revelations"?  I really doubt such a thing exists, and if it did, it would merely confirmed Muse's lead muse, Matt Bellamy, that everything is part of a conspiracy.**
     Time to throw the motley into a pit of wild animals!***

Schadenfreude
I know, I know, it's so unworthy of me, gloating and cackling at the virulent vindictive venom poured out on the Beeb's sports website about that ballfoot game yesterday between the two Manchester teams.  But I can't resist it!  It was up to over 1,200 comments this morning when I creaked out of bed to look at it; I've only read up to page 13 because, at 10 comments per page, there are over 120 to get through, and I do have a social life, you know.  Not much of one, but it's there.

Shark Mania!
If you are keeping up with Conrad's attempts to make the Shark Our New Best Friend, then you might have seen the photograph demonstrating the above-named game.  Briefly put, it's a very quick-play game that doesn't allow for hanging about, deliberation or stroking your chin whilst wondering where the Lapps go when they stand up.  Art?
Image result for shark mania
The game

     I did dismiss it as amusing, but of limited appeal.  I daresay some of you rapscallions out there pondered about playing it after coming back from the pub, when everything is a lot more amusing.
     Sadly not.  I came across another Youtube video which shows the game pre-assembly, and there are an awful lot of fiddly little pieces to fit together.  So, sober only.
Image result for shark mania
Whole lot of assembly required


"Flipper With Fangs"
Still trying to think of a good hook to snag people's attention when promoting the Hoover of the Seas.  People have a fond regard for Flipper, right?  Well, a shark is just a somewhat more streamlined version, with - okay, I admit it - a whole lot more teeth.  Fangs, if you will.  Okay, okay, a conveyor belt of fangs and an abrasive skin.
     "Flipper with Fins"?  "Flipper with Ferocity"? "Fangy Flipper"? "Instant Over-population Cure"? - no, perhaps not that last.
Image result for raging shark
That wonderful helpful shark is carrying that poor injured man to safety, in it's mouth.


Right!  Off to get some of that food stuff, lest I pass out from malnutrition.


*  No!  This is not a good thing!
**  Hi, Matt!  Surprise surprise, everything is.
***  Eric Burdon and Alan Price, wrathful Geordies frothing at the mouth

No comments:

Post a Comment