Search This Blog

Tuesday 9 May 2017

Today - Efficiency Is Key!

Yesterday -
I took ages to compose BOOJUM! but I do have an excuse, being that they were showing "Ice Cold In Alex" on television.  For those of you who wonder, this nothing to do with cryogenics, quite the opposite, and the 'Alex' in question is the Egyptian city of Alexandria.  It is set in the deserts of North Africa during the Second Unpleasantness, and concerns a British ambulance and crew, desperately trying to keep one step ahead of the pursuing Teutons.  What sustains them is the prospect of having an ice-cold glass of lager in Alex.  Stirring stuff!
Image result for ice cold in alex
One glass, four straws
     I should say, damn your eyes for being stirring stuff! I kept watching what was going on instead of composing deathless prose.
     Then, damn and blast it, they showed 'Flight of the Phoenix', but fortunately by that point I'd nearly finished.  No, the original version, the good one.
Image result for flight of the phoenix 1965
Thank you, Art
     BOOJUM! is the deathless prose I mentioned, in case you were wondering.  And even if you weren't.

The Clerihew Returns
Ah yes, the fruits of walking the dog.  I try these out on Edna, so hopefully there's nobody behind me at the time, as being considered a worry by your neighbours does not make for happiness.  So!  Let the mildly mocking rhymes begin.

Abraham Lincoln
Was always winking.
Ladies thought he was flirting
It's just that his eyes were hurting.
Image result for abraham lincoln vampire hunter
Oh dear.  Abe does not look happy with me.
          It's always a bit risky, slandering South Canadian figures of some stature, as they have a long reach and a longer memory.  Here goes another one - 

Paul Revere
Liked deer.
He kept one at home as a pet
Till he got bored, and it got et.

     Paul is famous in South Canadian history for riding hither and yon, telling his fellow countrymen that their best friends the British were coming, and would they all like to attend the party?     
     Okay, let's pick on that trusty Sixties psychedelic casualty and founder of Pink Floyd -

Syd Barrett
Never lived in a garret.
Because of all his record sales
He could afford a holiday cottage in Wales.

     Ha!  Take that inflammatory condemnation, Syd!  Er - in fact there is a grain of truth in there.  Although Syd didn't record anything after his two solo LPs circa 1970, he continued to get royalties from his work with Pink Floyd, enough to allow him to live comfortably and not work.  Well, haviing traduced the fellah already, I feel like continuing.

Syd Barrett
Had a parrot.
He taught it to say rude things,
And caw, and offensively flap it's wings.

     I think that's enough hard-edged critique for one day.  Let us move on!
Image result for syd barrett
Oh dear.  Syd does not look happy with me.
A Huffy Hound
Today the weather was good enough for even Conrad to acknowledge it, so I set myself up on the kitchen table in order to do my looking for gainful employment.  Incidental to this, I have found that there is a dearth of jobs that require one to drink tea, do crosswords, blog and read books for a salary of around £16,000.  I find this surprising, and not a little worrying.
     Anyway, there I was, tapping away at the keyboard, making notes and snorting derisively at some of the jobs on offer - "Senior Producer of The Jeremy Kyle Show"; because daytime television rots your brain. This was simply not good enough for Edna.

     I can tell you exactly what's going through her mind:  "Okay, fine then, I'll just lie down here and DIE because you won't let me lie on your lap, or play tug or chase the ball, I'll show you and you'll be sorry once I'm DEAD -" Cont. Page 96

How Odd
I've just found a printed extract from my MSS 'Revelations' on the floor with no idea how it got there.  I did manage to be spectacularly clumsy earlier today and nearly topple a pile of CDs on a bookcase.  Have these sheets tumbled out of a hidey-hole as a result of that?
Image result for zombie apocalypse manchester
Manchester after 'Revelations'.  A fixer-upper, as they say
Well, I've already wittered on about films in the Intro, and I don't like to over-egg the pudding, so the patented BOOJUM! Film Review that I was going to add will just have to wait until tomorrow.

Finally -
Because I like to wheedle, sucker and entrap the unwary, here's a cute baby animal photo -
Image result for cute alligator

     Yes, it is an alligator.  It's still a cute baby animal.  Perhaps only to it's mother, but still -


No comments:

Post a Comment