Search This Blog

Monday 8 May 2017

How Very Absurd

It's About The Neat-herd
As you should surely know by now, Conrad is ever one for the Cryptic Crossword, and he got all of Friday's in The Metro bar one - "One in charge of a tidy lot of stock (8 letters)".  Well, today I got the answers to Friday's questions, and I have to say I was surprised.
     Anyway, I wanted to show the really important things, at least to Edna, who appears to have the casting vote when it comes to laps and laptops.

     This is what is known as a Pre-emptive Strike; she got in there, or on there, before the laptop could.  And remained there, just to prove a point*.  She didn't bother to carry out her usual Floor Sweep, where she diligently inspects the carpet, just to make sure Conrad hasn't dropped any pieces of chicken or bacon.  Determined doggeh.
Image result for lapps
Plenty to sit on here!
     Well now that we've had the Cute Animal Intro, which should hook unsuspecting browsers, let us proceed by deploying the wibble.

Today's Haul
Conrad happened to be in Babylon-lite today**, and, having brushed up on bands thanks to The Flop House's band recommendations, I popped into That's Entertainment, where I got this lot.  Art?
And here we are
     I have to thank Young Chap At Till, who made a point of asking if I'd got everything I wanted.
     "No, actually.  I was looking for "Songs For Silverman" by Ben Folds, and couldn't find it on the shelves," bemoaned your humble scribe.
     Well, here's customer service for you; he checked their stock database, went off and came back with that very same CD.
     Thank you, Young Chap At Till!

"Navy Seals Versus Zombies"
Ah now, this fillum came up on a list of 10 films as good as "The Walking Dead" if not better, and I'd been after it for a while.  Art?
The one on the left.  Just so you know
     The thing is, it's from 2015, which means it's not present on any <cough cough> film websites, as 2015 is practically prehistoric for these sites.  And - once again - it was thanks to Young Chappette At Till in That's Entertainment asking if I had what I was looking for.
     Enough!  Let Conrad say that he thoroughly enjoyed NSVZ, which is plainly a low-budget film that makes no pretences at being anything but what it says on the tin.  Entertainment, not art.  Art?
Image result for navy seals vs zombies
These are the SEALS, not the zombies.  Just so we're clear.
     There are a set of Goofs on IMDB, which can be put down to the fact that this is a low-budget film.  LOW BUDGET FILM!  No, they can't afford to hire Blackhawk helicopters, no they can't afford to do umpteen takes if everyday traffic goes by in the background, and no they can't afford to use CGI to remove passers-by.
     I couldn't quite place where I'd seen the Lieutenant before.  Art?
Image result for navy seals vs zombies
Ed Quinn
     From "Eureka", actually.  He has one of the best lines in the film - "I think this may be the dumbest thing we've ever done" - as he and two other SEALs attempt to get a tissue sample from a zombie.  Don't knock Ed, he comes across convincingly and he has a degree in History.
Image result for navy seals vs zombies
"Eat hot leaden death, zombie scum!"
     The other good thing about this film is that it avoids all the cliches (bar one) and the SEALs behave intelligently, rather than running around like decapitated pullets.  Even the bit where you think AJ is running on Idiot Juice has a critical plot point to come.
     Ah yes that cliche bit - which is when someone gets bit.  Then they conceal the fact despite knowing that they'll end up as a ravening undead monster shortly.
     The film was shot in Baton Rouge, presumably because that's where it was cheapest to get permission, clear the streets and have bloodied extras shambling around.  Art?
Image result for navy seals vs zombies baton rouge
Baton Rouge
     If I remember how to log on to IMDB I may go and award this film 6.5 stars, which is what it deserves.

Oh yes, about that Cryptic Crossword.  The answer was "Neat-herd", which I have never heard of before, and I doubt you have either.  I had to look it up on Google before it was revealed to be "Cow-herd".  Conrad not sure how a cow comes across as "Neat".
Image result for herd of cows
A herd of neat.


*  You can't move until I do.
**  Oldham to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment