Search This Blog

Saturday 13 May 2017

More Of Attacking Icebergs

No!  Nothing To Do With Cannibal Mutant Lettuce
Although thanks to Matt Howarth for the inspiration*.
Image result for krinoid
No, Art!  This is wrong, on several levels
     Nor is it anything to do with deceased musician Deke Leonard.  Art? - and watch it with this one, my Tazer is ready.

Image result for deke leonard iceberg
Looks likea DH5 to me
     Actually I think you may have redeemed yourself there, Art, as that bit of kit on the front could certainly attack.
     No, what I refer to is the John Wyndham novel "The Kraken Wakes", which as you all know is one of my favourites and I never miss an opportunity to harp on about it.  Auntie Beeb did a radio adaptation last year, featuring that nice young lady Tamsin Grieg.  And Paul Higgins, although he is less easy on the eye**.   Anyway, my mention of iceberg attack in today's first post brought the opening of TKW to mind, as our sterling narrator Mike Watson and his wife Phyllis watch icebergs.
     In the English Channel.
     I did do an adaptation of this Prologue into a screenplay, which is dead easy as it's only a few pages long.  It warns you that, yes, humanity might survive, but your world is going to be very different from the present one.
Image result for the kraken wakes iceberg
There you go, icebergs
     I have annotated the whole book, thinking about trying my hand at adapting it to a screenplay, except the budget would have to be pretttty big if it remains faithful to the source - filming at sea, filming in the Caribbean, filming in Spain, Ireland, Scotland, having London gradually flooded, getting permission to film in Selfridge's, nuclear depth charges, major cruise and warships sunk - you can only CGI so much.
     Anyway, icebergs, attacking.

I Give You - Clerihew!
Once again I bounced these ideas off Edna whilst walking, making sure to fall silent when we came across other dog walkers or pedestrians - I have found, over time, that people get a bit wary of other people who talk to themselves, especially if it's done in the third person.  Anyway, let us proceed with the mild insults!

Nick Mason
Once filled a basin.
What he filled it with I cannot tell,
As it would probably render you rather unwell.

     In reality I think Nick is holder of the record for making the world's biggest crumpet, so the basin may have merely contained batter.  But it's better not to know.  
Image result for nick mason
Also fond of cars
Oh, in case you were wondering, Nick is the drummer in Pink Floyd.   Next!

Pink Floyd
Were very annoyed,
When Norton Warburg lost all their money.
For a band who wrote "Money" this is rather funny.

     Although they probably didn't think so at the time, nor afterwards.  The loss might have been as much as £3 million, which would tend to dent your sense of humour, rather.  Even Conrad's sunny disposition would be sorely tried at a loss like that.  Next!

Robert Plant
Has been known to rant,
About the most eccentric things,
Like "What on earth are 'Buffalo Wings'?"

     I think he has a point there.  Your humble hack is pretty sure that they're some hideous South Canadian invention - hang on a minute - well, Wiki says that they're actually unbreaded chicken wings that are first deep-fried and then dipped in a sauce. 
Buffalo - Wings at Airport Anchor Bar.jpg
Rorting snorting Buffalo wings
 And yes the South Canadians did invent them.  Robert has a point here - where does the Buffalo come in?  O well, next!

The Rolling Stones 
Are certainly not clones.
Because they are actually the walking dead,
Except for Charlie Watts, who has a robot head.

     Never cared for the RS, and it is a matter of incontrovertible fact that they are, indeed, zombies.
Image result for zombie rolling stones
Zombies one and all.  And that robot head!

Now, I can't hang around here too long, as that splendid reconstruction serial 'Doctor Who' is on soon and I need to get the oven up to temp before I can add the breaded chicken pieces - or should I call them Oxen Podiatrics? - and sit down in front of the television.

Finally -
Because I only need a little more text to get up to count, please have this photograph of a USN destroyer firing and detonating a nuclear depth charge.
Image result for nuclear depth charge video
Take that, Pacific!
     If any of those pesky TKW invaders are down there, they're going to have a really bad headache.




*  I think he used the term "Mutant cannibal orange" and it rather stuck with me.
**  Yes this is shallow.  No I don't care.

No comments:

Post a Comment