Search This Blog

Sunday 14 May 2017

Going Again With A Quill Pen

I Shall Have To Explain This
As, presumably, most of you reading this are content to tap away on a computer keyboard, or use that dreadful text language on an equally dreadful mobile phone Devil Box.  Conrad, as we have already established, has all the pens all the time, because you really can never have too many pens.
     Okay.  To backtrack a little, Darling Daughter asked if I could hand-write a set of notes for her, presumably to go with a set of artefacts she is creating for her degree course.  It took about 20 minutes to do so.  Art?
Go the First
     She hadn't specified how to write it, so you see both upper and lower case, although I confidently predict the upper case will have it, as Conrad's signature scrawl can be a little - shall we say 'challenging' - to read.
     Then, this afternoon I wondered about re-doing it, as the version above had been a bit of a rush job; I think the dissertation needs to be done in the coming week.  With a quill pen, because I have one.  Presto!
Go Two
     Rather better-presented.  You can see the very pen at top of picture, and the necessary pot of ink to dip it in; yes, very Dickensian, and a process that needs to be repeated frequently, taking care not to blot.  No, you don't need to worry about that with TXT language, but then you can't put that on display for the admiration of all, can you?

A Clerihew Or Two
Once more the product of walking the dog.  Exercise for both mind and body!  I will keep telling me that, and maybe it will convince me.  Meanwhile - 

Rick Wakeman
Does not like bacon.
Therefore he has not been to Denmark,
Instead sojourning on the Isle of Sark

     This has the possibility of being true.  About the bacon, I mean, because the bit about Denmark is quite possibly wide of the mark.
Image result for sark
Sark

     
Roger Waters
Does not have daughters
Because that would be plural
He only has one, which is single.

     I did a bit of background fact checking on Ol' Roj, and he has several kids and several marriages under his belt.  I remain uncertain if he likes bacon.  However, as a songwriter he probably has lots of pens.

Pete Townsend
Bucks the trend
Of good-looking lead guitarists
I was going to be cruel here but instead I desists.

     After all, we're only being slightly horrid, and you have to admit Ol' Pete is no oil-painting, unless you refer to Heironymous Bosch.  You can guess what might have been there in the last line by idly musing on what else rhymes with "guitarists".
Image result for hieronymus bosch
Bosch.  Or bosh, depending on your taste


I Have Found God
Well, so to speak.  Don't worry, this post will not feature angelic choirs and religion, as the God I refer to is actually a band - God Is An Astronaut.  I came across them yesterday whilst idly scoping out Youtube researching for "The Kraken Wakes".  Someone had put together a mock trailer for a film of TKW, which wasn't bad.  I liked the soundtrack, checked who it was and hey presto, GIAA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKFDYdaSyng

     They - or it, or she, or he, as I've not read up on them yet - remind me somewhat of Porcupine Tree; instrumental nu-prog, I suppose is one label for them.
Image result for astronaut
A God-like perspective, I suppose
Obsidian
What is it? I wondered, because it crops up as a plot point in "Game of Thrones".  Yes, I'm watching Season Five now, because you can only take so much of the sex and violence ever-present in "Father Brown".  I recognised the name 'Obsidian' as a Real Thing.
     So what is it?
Image result for obsidian
The raw material
     It's a type of volcanic glass, actually.  It is quite brittle and cleaves to give extremely sharp edges - I mean extremely sharp.  Sharp enough to make scalpel blades from, so the daggers made of obsidian in GOT are not only possible, but have been used in the past.
Image result for obsidian
Thus
     Here endeth your history lesson for today.  BOOJUM! - educational and entertaining*.

More Of Rube Goldberg
Well, a Rube Goldberg Machine.  This one was built over a period of decades by an Austrian chap in his spare time, from salvage and scrap.
Presto
     It doesn't actually perform any function that I can see, it just does it's stuff.  Which is very meta and all.  You want a Youtube link?  Very well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RKlJ2oBROA

     Go and appreciate all it's purposeless glory.  Those wacky Austrians, eh?



*  Hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment