Search This Blog

Tuesday 11 April 2017

The Wall, The Wall

That Says It All
Welllll - actually it doesn't.  If you find this confusing then perhaps you'd be better advised reading something that pays attention to logic, sequential events and a linear narrative - oh, and sensibleness, too.
     "This isn't about the Pink Floyd double-album, is it?" I hear you cautiously mutter.  "We know you and your obsessive behaviour."
     Me?  obsessive?  Surely you confuse me with another person.  No, but I had to put up "Wall" as a plural, as otherwise what follows wouldn't make sense. "Walls", you see.
Image result for wall ice cream
Excuse me whilst I go Tazer Art -
     Now, I can anticipate your next question:  what does ice cream "Walls" have to do with the Israeli nuclear missile programme?
     I'm so glad you asked!  
     This comes of noseying around the internet about the Israeli 'launch vehicle" - 'missile' to you or I - the "Shavit".
Image result for razor
Excuse me whilst I go Tazer and slap Art
     The Shavit, which is Hebrew for "Horizon", is the civilian version of another 'launch vehicle', this military one being titled "Jericho".  Whoever in israeli Armament Industries  christened it thus, if that's an apt noun, clearly had a rather dark sense of humour.  The walls of Jericho - see?  see how it all fits together? - came tumbling down, if you remember your Bible.
Image result for walls of jericho bible
Clearly the inspiration for Hawkwind's "Sonic Attack"
     Given that the Israeli's are extraordinarily coy about admitting having any nuclear weapons in the first place, the yield of a Jericho warhead is rather open to speculation, although 1 megaton is a reasonable guess.  If one of these goes off then your walls will, indeed, come tumbling down.
Image result for jericho missile
Where are you Roger Waters?

Right!  Enough of matters grim and grey, let us move on to something less serious.
     MUTANT RADIOACTIVE GIANT OTTER BATTLES!
     Only joking.  Although - 
Image result for mutant giant otter
Hmmm.  I wonder if it glows in the dark?
Today's Haul
Today we have a variation on the inevitable military history titles.  I shall now unchain Art from the Punishment Pile (situated in the airy Upper Dungeon) and propel him to work with my hobnail boots.  Art!

Pens!  Because you can never have too many pens.  No, really, you can't.  The DVD is "Four Brothers" a John Singleton fillum, which scores 6.9 at IMBD - no, I will go to bat for the right of a man to own as many pens as possible - and at only £1.99 it would have been rude not to buy it.  Then there's an Alastair Reynolds sci-fi novel, and an account of the war between Persia and Greece.  Which might well have been drafted in longhand on paper by LOTS OF PENS.

A Bit Of Gloasting
If you are newly-come to the blog then you may not be aware of just how much enjoyment Conrad - that's me, I usually talk about myself in the third person as it is much, much funnier - derives from messing about with words and language.  I highlighted "enjoyment" because it was the nine-letter solution to a Wordsquare puzzle the other week.  Art?
Image result for wordsquare puzzle
The format
     You have to make as many words of 4 letters or more as possible and MUST include the central letter in each word.  There is a 9 letter word that the whole thing is derived from - the one above is "Zirconium" - and there are ratings of Good, Very Good and Excellent that depend on how many words you can create.
     Now, the gloasting comes because I checked the solutions for "Enjoyment" and I got a word they missed, that being "Eyot", so Yah!
     Here's a list of what I managed at the weekend -
Go me.
     That's 30, which is rated as "Very Good" and I do NOT refer to a dictionary or the internet, all my own work.  You may now pause in awed appreciation before we move on.

A Clerihew For You
I call upon the shades of history to defend my callinebephilia*!  First up is -

Ludwig Van Beethoven
Was very fond of pen.
He had lots of them around the place,
Which made him have a happy face.

The Duc De Richelieu
Once drew.
He then drew again
Because he had many a pen.

Sir Winston Churchill
Wrote with a quill.
He used a different one each day.
The lot were imported from Mandalay

Thank you and goodnight!

Image result for smiling beethoven
Proof!  Proof!






*  A collector of pens

No comments:

Post a Comment