Search This Blog

Sunday 9 April 2017

The Coincidence Hydra Bites Again

For Those Unaware -
This is the unlovely beast that gnaws at your humble scribe's tender behind, although less often of late.  Normally it seems to be brought on by reading Thomas Pynchon - who,much to my disgruntlement, has not written another novel yet - but today it focusses instead on the Canadians.
     Here an aside.  Because they are notably more polite than the Americans South Canadians, I shall henceforth dub them (the Canadians, do keep up!) the "British Americans" and we'll see who gets offended by that.
     Okay.  Yesterday I mentioned the British Americans in the context of the First Unpleasantness,and what do we see today on the BBC's website?
     Yes, yes, a whole load of drivel about sport and soap operas, but also this - Art?
"Vimy Ridge: Canadian armed forces prepare to mark centenary"
     You get a photo not a screenshot as I'm on the laptop.  Technical details aside, this is that sharp-fanged hydra nipping at my nethers.
     FYI, the Canadian Corps, with an assist from a British division, stormed and captured Vimy Ridge, a piece of real estate that the Teuton's higher command had declared was to be held at all costs.  Well it wasn't.  The Canadian Corps consisted of four divisions that were never separated or split up, unlike typical British army corps, which meant it functioned a lot better as a mass formation.  In 1918 the BEF used the Canadian Corps to spearhead any major attacks, meaning that our Teuton cousins were equally interested and worried about exactly where all the gung-ho chaps from Alberta and Calgary were hiding.
     
Dog On A Duvet
Conrad has always been rather suspicious of that phrase "dog in a manger", meaning being selfish about something as dogs don't eat hay.  Maybe not, but they know a nice comfortable spot when they see one.  Art?

     Here is Edna curled up on the winter duvet that now needs to find a new home.  Without going into unwanted detail, it made your modest artisan sweat so much that he was dehydrated the next morning.  Clearly Edna is the winner here, as I'm not going to fight her for the duvet.

Pub Quiz
This is going back a week or two still, and I shall miss out one of the 'thinking' questions
because the clue was too long for me to write down. I suppose this is for Russ, Dee, Tom and Pete, who normally clamour for these questions at lunchtime.   

7)  Humans have 52 of which in a lifetime, 20 of which are deciduous?
12)  Which singer featured in the film "Desperately Seeking Susan"?
18)  Which of the following is not a Bronte sister:  Charlotte; Emma; Jane
22) What makes more as you take them?
2)  The film "All The President's Men" was about what political scandal?

     Answers tomorrow, if I remember.  Not that I mean to string you along, it's just my memory's not what it was.

A Mass Of Macedoine
Yestereve Wonder Wifey made one of her trademark stews, which consists of chopping up a whole lot of veg and meats and chucking them into a slow cooker for hours and hours, together with a clutch of seasonings.  Here is the end result:

    A nice blend of colours, don't you think?  Hearty stuff, and very tasty, which is a good thing as there are still several litres of it left.  Well, it won't prove any hardship to eat, i assure you.
     I shall probably now get into trouble for making the process seem rather easy.  It was my idea to call it a "macedoine", though, so I may get remission, and hopefully more stew.

I Sometimes Forget -
That people read this scrivel, because feedback comes but rarely in the form of Comments, and therefore I don't check them very often.  So - what's this?  A Comment?  In March 2017?  It was a tad cryptic - "Ken Jeong not Ken Leong".  The Commenter identified themselves this time - 
Image result for ken jeong
Ken is indeed Jeong
     - and they were right, I had mis-identified Ken.  What can I say, it's only two keys over from "J" to "L".  Oh, yes, it was Wonder Wifey who Commented, so now I have to fact-check what I post instead of making it up if I feel like it, except for clerihews because deceit and lies are inherent in them.

Finally
Because this may come up as the default picture on Facebook, here's an industrial centrifugal compressor.
Image result for centrifugal compressor


No comments:

Post a Comment