Search This Blog

Sunday 8 May 2016

Gaze Upon - The Nagmachon

Finally!
Some years ago Conrad was watching the film "Beaufort", a rather down-beat Israeli film about a small garrison in a fortress named thereafter.  Now, I know what you're thinking - this film appears to tick all three of BOOJUM!'s No-No Boxes - Religion, Politics and Current Affairs - so "Conrad!  How could you?" springs to your lips, eh?
     Relax, your humble scribe was more bothered about identifying an Armoured Fighting Vehicle that reared it's spectactularly ugly head in the film.  No joy on IMDB, no credits listed for "Strange Ugly Vehicle played by -" and nothing on Google either.
     Then, last night Conrad happened to be checking out the history of the Centurion tank - hey, a man's gotta have a hobby! -  after reading up about the Black Knight tank - no, I can't remember why I was looking that one up either.  The Centurion tank was used by the IDF in large numbers and, like the Yugoslavs, they never throw anything away.  When the Centurions were reckoned to be obsolete, they got converted into Armoured Personnel Carriers.  Presto!  Art?
Positively medieval-looking: the Nagmachon
     This is the strange-looking AFV I was curious about.  As most APCs weigh in at about 10 - 20 tons, this 50 ton beast is a very heavy APC indeed.  The tower installation, known apparently as "the doghouse", appears to offer increased visibility at the risk of also attracting attention from unfriendly folks with firearms.
     It did remind me of the monstrous "Torque Armada" from 2000AD, although it's hard to find a copy, bar this one:
Image result for nemesis kev o'neill
Perhaps I exaggerate a little
     There you are, one small piece of life's jigsaw puzzle completed.  Next!

The Real Ghostbusters
Yes, I am aware that there was an animated series called this, and no, it's not what I'm talking about.  What I intend to - what's that?  "Why did they call it "The Real", Conrad?  Tell us, tell us, for we surely want to know!"
     Not that there were any fakes ones around, but Filmation were legally quibbling about the title "Ghostbusters", as if anyone cared.  Art?
Image result for filmation ghostbusters
The Filmation version.  Never heard of them
     Okay, where was I?
     Oh, yes, the REAL Ghostbusters.  Conrad refuses to admit that the silly remake with girls actually exists and he certainly won't be going to see it, as far as he is concerned - and if you disagree then THE EXIT DOOR IS THAT WAY! - there are only two Ghostbuster films made and now that Harold Ramis is gone that's all there will ever be.
     <moment's silence for gone Egon>
     "But what triggered this outpouring of rage in our normally mild-mannered scribe?" I hear you ask.  This!
The Real thing, so to speak
     The acid response above is partly due to a sugar rush as Conrad gobbled down a heaped spoonful of 'Stay Puft' - just to test it - and declared it delicious.  Which is to say, cloyingly sweet.  Eating a whole tub would probably result in being sick, but what a way to go!

Quick!  Another Bad Pun!
As you know, Conrad delights in wordplay and specious verbal trickery at all times, and came upon a Tesco chicken in a roasting bag atop the kitchen window-sill.  "Hmmm," went my thought processes.  "How can I ruthlessly exploit this in search of blog traffic?"
     If Art will put down his dog bowl of coal, he can illuminate us.  Art?
I'm not going to waste the pun in a caption.  Read the below!
     On the left - a Roasting Bag.  On the right - a Boasting Rag*.

I Say, MiSS
We've confirmed Conrad's weakness for all things zombie sugar above***, and his gleeful enthusiasm for puns, the more excruciating the better, so I would like to cast your mind back to Friday in the office.  I know you weren't there so you need to take this on trust.  After all, would I lie to you^?
     Sophie - this one, not that one - recalled reading a story in <mentioned generic tabloid magazine on sale at supermarket check-outs that I can't recall as I've never read one but which we will call "Tat!" for the purposes of this post>, about a woman who married a ship.  Catherine, obviously mis-hearing, commented that yes, a lot of women do that -
     "No, a SHIP," clarified Sophie.
     Your humble scribe, overhearing this, immediately sprang into action (plus it was quiet on the phones and the e-mail inbox was empty^^) and e-mailed Sophie a few lines that instantly sprang to mind:

     "When you said that, I got a sinking feeling"
     "What a riveting tale!"
     "She'd have been better off with a buoy"

     Ah, sometimes I impress even me -
Image result for mail ship
 - like with this.  
     Apologies for not posting any coincidences today, although to be fair I've not read any Thomas Pynchon yet and it usually takes a peruse of him to send the space-time continuum into a fit.

Catch you later!


*  I'm not sorry about this and I'm not going to apologise**.
** So there!
*** And all things zombie, except let's be atypical and stay on subject, eh?
^  Do not answer this question!
^^ Conrad covering his bottom if any managers read this

No comments:

Post a Comment