Search This Blog

Saturday 21 May 2016

Busted

As In The Sense Of "Bus"
You might define a "Bus" as a "Public Service Vehicle", or if you are Conrad (be grateful you are not) as "A Large, Unreliable, Occasional Motor Vehicle That Is Inherently Untrustworthy", especially as it applies to First Bus.
     In one way I should be grateful to this errant transport company, for does their deficiency not supply BOOJUM! with endless material?  Yes it does but I'd rather have buses that turn up, on time, and go where they ought to; Conrad is quite capable of generating bloggoreah on his own.
     "Hurry up!" I can hear you say.  "Strictly Come Dancing is on soon!"
     Leaving aside Conrad's firm belief that SCD is a huge and elaborate joke played solely at his expense, I shall proceed.
     Behold!
Evidence and today's coincidence in one tidy package
     Given that the 24 fails to appear on a regular basis, as do the 181 and 182 services, the question is not "Are they cancelled?" but "How do we tell the difference?"
     The 409 service above is pictured travelling through the beating heart of Royton, my home town, which we must admit is a smidgeon of a coincidence, non?
     I would also like to share with you, in an edited-to-be-SFW format, a conversation overheard on Thursday evening whilst heading home on the 182.  Definitely "overheard" not "eavesdropping*" as she was directly behind me, talking to her boyfriend on her mobile.
     "I had my IDP** today," she conversed, "Which was a right load of $h1te.  Makes me well-motivated to find another job.  I can't stand working with that fat dastard*** any longer, I just want to punch him in the mouth."
     Conrad cannot possibly comment ...

My Catalogue Has Arrived!
Noble Naval & Military Press, bless them, they send out what is essentially a small tabloid newspaper every couple of months, presumably because I've spent so much money with them over the years I'm just such a radically cool dude, blood.  This one is dedicated to the First Unpleasantness alone, which - allow me my guilty middle-aged pleasures - I took great delight in ticking where I already had that particular volume.  Art?
Look!  "The 74th Yeomanry Division" - I've never heard of them before
     If I had my choice and a Lottery win to back me up, I'd be ordering several hundred of these publications - and since you only pay £3.87 P & P per order, I'd save tens of pounds on the postage, if not hundreds 
      - sorry, drifted off there for a minute.  N & M are also ever one to make a guinea or two based on print copyrights, and - actually it's easier to show you.  Art?
Blowing their own trumpet, with some reason
     They are now producing facsimile copies of ALL the War Diaries from British battalions that fought on the Western Front - 3,500 of them, totalling well over 1.5 million pages.
     "Ho hum," I hear you say.  "Diaries.  How unutterably -"
     NO!
     I shall explain a little.  Each of the battalions of the British army in the Great War had an Intelligence Officer whose job it was to compile a daily record of what the battalion did.  The fullness and detail of each diary is a reflection of whoever wrote it, and together they compile an absolutely priceless trove of primary information.  N & M are charging upwards of £15 for each diary.
     Conrad is slightly ahead of the field here.  I actually have a printed copy of a War Diary (Lancashire Regiment IIRC), which was obtained from paying the National Archives £3.50.  You get a download that's active for a month or so, which I printed off (thanks, Connexions printers!) and studied.  Interesting stuff but they use abbreviations which mean nothing to the modern reader.  I might dig it out and re-read it.

Archer
Came across this animated spy-spoof recently and loved it to bits, but be warned - it is rather sweary, and has implicit sex, so NSFW - and it's by the chap behind "Bob's Burgers" except here he's really funny.  Archer, or Sterling Archer to give full credit, is a selfish, self-obsessed bottomwipe with all the charm of James Bond's pubic lice ointment.  But funny with it.  Art?
Image result for archer
Steely-eyed, stern-jawed and a douchebag
     Bizarrely, given that this is a cartoon series, there's a looong legal disclaimer about how it's all fiction.  They had one of those on "Houdini and Doyle", too.  Imagine that, mistaking a television series for real life!  That's why there isn't one on the reconstruction dramamentary "Doctor Who", and I will fight anyone who challenges that.


*  Which would be creepy.  Even for me.
**  "Individual Development Plan" - Management-speak for pointless plotted pontification
*** Not the actual word.  Use your imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment