Search This Blog

Saturday 9 November 2013

The weekend unfolds -

 - perhaps "Unwinds" would be more apt
     Although I'm pretty sure I'm not really in need of de-stressing.  On a recent visit to my old place of work, Gavin (my old manager) commented "Oh, you don't do "stressed", do you?".
     Just to prove a point, I did the BBC Stress Test, and scored 1 out of 32.  This apparently means I am so laid-back I make sloths look like hummingbirds on speed*.

John Carter of Mars
     Here at the BOOJUM! mansion, Conrad took a bit of a metaphorical beating from Wonder Wife about this film.
     Hey there!  I refer you to that cinematic icon Kurt Russell**, who described "Stargate" in a most excellent and quotable phrase: "big dumb fun".  Which is what "John Carter" is; it isn't trying to redefine cinema, fiction, literature or frictionless ball-bearing races.  It tells an entertaining story.
     An expensive one, coming in at $250 million, yes (though it took more than this on general release, before DVD sales and television rights are added) but that money is right up there on screen.
Given the size of those teeth, one hopes they floss daily
Hadag Nahash
     Not the sound you make when sneezing, no.  This is actually one of the most successful Israeli bands at present, a bunch of leftie-leaning peaceniks who make sounds that can be decribed as - er - well, kind of Hebrew hip-hop electro-pop.  Yes, they sing in Hebrew so I have no idea what they're saying, except that it sounds interesting.  Actually that's a lie - on one song they sing " ... Cruise Control ..." so I understand two words of their entire repertoire.  Plastic People of the Universe, Rokia Traore, meet another group who don't sing in English.
     They're playing in the background as this blog is composed is why I mention them, Vulanvia, thank you for asking.
Oddly enough, not called to perform at many bar mitzvahs.
Wargaming
     To correct a common misapprehension, Conrad does not don a military uniform in private and torment small animals for pleasure simply because he is a wargamer.
     More correctly that should read "dilettante wargamer", as it must be well over a year since I played a game at home - Blitzkrieg Commander I seem to recall.  I would be even more out of touch were it not for Richard and his Saturday wargaming sessions.  I apologise, wargaming community - that damn zombie novel takes up so much time, as does the hex-and-counter game design.  Oh, and baking, too.
     I do progress in a halting fashion, as witness:
Compare to yesterday's photo.  (Yes a transparent attempt to increase site visitors)
On the logic puzzle front, I've got 4 out of the past 5 correct, despite the sometimes tortuous and nonsensical grammar involved.  The matrix puzzle I couldn't make any sense of has a solution that makes no sense either - Conrad suspects drunken puzzle compilers.

Coincidence?  Only you can tell!
    Any regular reader will recall that I've recently been listening to Kayo Dot, who cannot really be described conveniently.  Except by Grooveshark, it seems - when I logged in to play Hadag Nahash, there were two suggested tracks that I listen to, by - yes you guessed - Kayo Dot.  They haven't ever come up as a suggestion before - hang on let me just strain the bounds of credibility - therefore someone at Grooveshark was reading BOOJUM!
    Wow, I feel so - so - so empowered!

So - Tanks?
     No!  Because Anna may be reading this.  Instead we have <casts around desperately> we have - er - a cuddly felt dragon!


"Cuddly"?  It's a swivel-eyed loon, Conrad!

Okay, time to go practice with Pinky and the Brain.  Why?  Because we all three plan TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD.  After a quick breakfast, perked coffee and a read of the sunday papers.

* "Speed" is slang for amphetamine sulphate, a stimulant drug that I humbly apologise for bringing into the hitherto pristine pages of BOOJUM!
** Who he?  Star of "The Thing", "Stargate", "Big Trou" - look, if you don't know who he is, we aren't friends anymore, okay?
















    



No comments:

Post a Comment