Search This Blog

Sunday 17 November 2013

First, Catch Your Rabbit ...

Or, When Baking Gluten-Free Bread, Have The Right Flour
     Blimey, Victoria, this non-wheat flour business has some tweaks and corners to it.  Tapioca flour is made by blasting tapioca in a blender, except mine was a bit gritty at the end.  No photo, sorry, didn't think to bother.
     Rice flour: none to be had at Morrison's or the Co-Op, so I made my own.  You soak your rice for at least 30 minutes, drain it, dry it then blast it in a blender, then cook it over a low heat to get rid of excess moisture.  The whole process took ages.
     Today's dough had xanthan gum added - which means it now acts like real dough instead of a semi-liquid batter.  And for extra moisture, a few ounces of mashed potato.

<Imagine a photo here - IE being an idiot and preventing uploads>
 
 
I can see why gluten-free flour mix is expensive, as the loaves are, too.

Or, When Baking Halloween Pumpkin Cake, Have A Pumpkin Substitute
     The Giant Pumpkin is an occasional visitor to these shores, so to make the very highly regarded cake named above, I need a substitute.  Wonder Wife very cannily suggested Butternut Squash - same vegetable family, same colour flesh, not too strong a taste.  So I got two today and may try replicating the recipe.  If all turns out horrid, there's still Butternut Squash Soup.
The least rude photograph I could find.  Butternut Squash - NSFW

 Righto, time to go down and batter that dough a bit*.

 The Passing of Doris Lessing
     I saw the film made from one of her books, featuring Julie Christie IIRC, back in the 1980's - and cannot remember what it was called.  Er, or even what it was about.
 I know, I know, how terrible of me!
     I also read one of her books, "Briefing For A Descent Into Hell" and could not make out what was going on.  A mental patient going round the twist?  A person being briefed for a literal descent into Hades?  Neither?  Both? I may Google after this blog to see if anyone else made sense of the novel.

Hang on a moment, got to go turn the loaf tin around -

 - hmmm it's not risen much in the oven.  Oh well, 22 minutes and we'll know what's what.

Conrad Shivers In Fear
     The BBC website has a sidebar article - do more women than men attend musicals?
     Hell yes I would bloody well think so!  Because Conrad isn't going to go watch a musical. Not unless you can recreate The Blues Brothers on a theatre stage**, he isn't.
Pineapple, parsnip and musicals - Conrad's three biggest fears

Okayyyy, off to spin that tin.  Farewell!

* Do you see what I did there? Do you?  Oh you do.
**  Physically impossible.  You can't fit 85 police cars on any theatre stage.











No comments:

Post a Comment