Search This Blog

Saturday 16 November 2013

BOOJUM!'s Adventures in Foreign Fields

By "Foreign" I mean, of course, Yorkshire
     Not that I particularly begrudge the Tykes being the winners of the War of the Roses, it's just that they do talk funny.
     Today I had permission from Wonder Wife to go and play a wargame with Richard, off in the wilds of Storrs.

Storrs.  Slightly to one side of nowhere
 To get there I normally go via the Snake Pass, then turn off onto a long unmarked B road and carry on for a few miles.
     Not today!  The B road was closed - according to Richard due to a collapsed building - and I had to continue along the main road, wondering when I'd get the chance to turn left and head north.  For miles I wondered, until I hit another road closure - according to Andy, due to a landslip - and got shunted off onto another road.
How Conrad felt
Now, the game itself was fun: quick, bloody and decisive, and best of all I won won won.  Not to gloat about it but I won.


Our 5th Century battlefield: Conrads troops at lower left
On my way to winning, the Saxon allies of both Roman pretenders to the British throne went at each other great guns and practically wiped each other out.
Left of the road, the Saxons (and Goths) have mostly been routed
My troops steadfastly marched on, bumping into the enemy Romans and light horse
Luck and good dice rolls help Paulus Flavius' troops to win; that's my troops next to the forest
After mashing the enemy's swede, what was left?  Only this:
Excuse lens dazzle..  Those are my troops, with an enemy base barely visible in the glare of what appears to be an anachronistic H-bomb
Then it was time to go home.  Could I find the way back along my original diverted route?  Not at all.  There was a single "Diverted Traffic" sign for direction, and after that it was up to telepathy, apparently, which didn't work because it doesn't exist (yet).  So I came home via the motorway, which of course had miles and miles and miles of Average Speed Camera-monitored roadworks.

After The Battle Tittle-Tattle
     One of the pleasures of an afternoon with Richard is that he has his fingers squarely on the pulse of all things wargamey.  This afternoon I learnt that Henry Hyde, far from suffering financial disaster with his magazine "Battlegames", is now editor of Miniature Wargaming*, which magazine is transformed for the better since I gave up buying it years ago.  So - Conrad may be taking out a subscription in the New Year ...
See?  It really exists!
After all that rampant militarism, how about ending with a picture of cuddly ducks?
One of these ducks is an infectious alien shape-shifting Thing.  Good luck find out which!
I shall say ta-ta.

 *Miniature Wargaming, Battlegames, White Dwarf, Wargaming Illustrated - admit it, you never knew there were so many hobby publications, did you?



















No comments:

Post a Comment