Search This Blog

Saturday 7 September 2013

The Best Laid Plans ...

... gang aft agley.  Which is from Rabbie Burns, better known to the non-Scottish-speaking as Robert Burns, and it means that you may plan, but real life has a way of ambushing you.

Scheduling a Saturday
     I'm not especially fond of being organised and arranged and working to a timetable in my spare time; on Friday evening I have a vague idea of what's going to happen over the weekend but in no particular order.  What happens, happens.  But, last time I made a list of things to do - which should be Things To Do - it did help get things done with some efficiency.
     So, this weekend I had a list: Blog; Zombie Novel ("Revelations" as a working title); Wargaming rules; Cooking; Ice-cream making; Nook reading; Comic book reading (at this point you are doubtless rolling eyes at the strenuous exertions of Conrad's planned weekend); getting a wargame scenario worked up.
     The Cooking bit went well.  Cream of Tomato Soup, Mash Casserole and a Sausage and Bean Casserole are all gracing the fridge.  However!  I definitely had to get a haircut.

Conrad, Windflow and Excessively Hirsute
     On Wednesday I encountered winds that were easily in excess of 450 m.p.h. as I walked to work.  My <Still Un-Named> employer resides in part of Manchester with many high-rise buildings, which causes winds to whip up to unfeasible speeds.  Wild is the wind, indeed.
     So when I made my first trip of the day to the gents, I espied myself in the mirror looking like Mad Professor In Fright Wig.
     Time for a trip to Peppi's.  Peppi is from Sicily, but long resident in the north-west, so he speaks with a combined Italo-Oldham accent.  I've been getting my hair cut there for the past 20 years - yes, Conrad is a creature of habit.
Hard to tell, but that's a Hellboy tee-shirt.  He doesn't have many haircut problems, does he?


Manchester Beckons!
     After haircut, it was off to Manchester as per what I posted yesterday.  Nothing new or interesting in the Oxfam bookshop, and my man with his second-hand books hadn't opened his stalls - yah booh sucks.  Plus, despite going to Fopp! and HMV and the Vinyl Exchange, I could only get one new Mars Volta CD.  Pooh bum.
     I did manage to acquire twelve other CD's, however.
There's 4 CDs in the Arabian box
These will all need to be added to I-tunes before adding to my I-Pod, which is surely the 21st Century's greatest gadget ever.

Tomato Soup
     Whilst putting away the shopping last night, member's of The Family quoth loud on the subject of how many tomatoes we had, and could anything be done with them? oh! there was always cream of tomato soup, to be made before they went rotten.
     Before creating the soup, dear readers, I had to first clean the fridge.  You know how it is - there are mystery boxes full of stuff at the back that have sat there for months, until you realise that, no, it's not Avocado Relish, it's a pack of radishes gone rotten.  That took ages.

So - Tanks?
     Not tonight.  No, tonight we have this beastie:
Art Nouveau combine harvester?  No!  It's the Transphibian Tactical Tree Crusher.  And that used to be a forest.
Perhaps a YouTube link is more effective:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF6cskF9aJ4

I can't find a photo that scales a person against this 97 ton monster, but if you look at the photograph above, that little windowed box at the very top is the size of a garden shed.  Truly this looks like it came straight from The Twilight Zone.

Tally ho!

No comments:

Post a Comment