Search This Blog

Sunday 29 September 2013

Sunday's Routine Slightly Amended

The Schedule Askew
     As any reader of this blog already knows, Conrad is a creature of habit.  Sunday's begin with a trawl of e-mails, the news, a shower, then a sit down with a pot of tea, my Nook and that book of (damnably compulsive!) logic puzzles.
     Things were a little different today - I had the ingredients for a "Traditional One-Pot Bean Dinner" which takes at least 6 hours to cook, so I set-to at twelve.  There was the pound of minced beef, six rashers of bacon, an onion, almost a whole bottle of ketchup, a tin of kidney beans, a tin of butter beans, three tins of baked beans and pork sausages (not enough room left in the cooker for the recipe's fourth tin) and some wine vinegar.

     This afternoon, instead of baking or cooking, I painted the window wall of my Upstairs Lair. 


That fiend Contrast prevents a proper photograph folks



So no practicing making Chelsea Buns.  Or at least not yet.

Transient Phenomenon
     I don't often see this:
No, you're not drunk, it is a double-image
This is caused by the sun shining directly on the windows of a house half a mile away and being reflected onto the upper window pane of the large window in my Lair, which has a flower motif leaded onto it.
     Just one of those things Conrad likes to share with the world.

No cuts, no buts, no Coconuts*?
     Up until recently I had copious amounts of dessicated coconut in storage; then came the discovery of how easy it is to make Coconut Ice Cream, and Mo's request for Coconut Pyramids, and the use of a ton of coconut in the Chewy Monkey Bars.  Resupply needed!  On Friday Asda were out of dessicated coconut - okay it happens.  This afternoon I sortied forth to the Co-Op in Royton, and they were out of coconut, too.  In fact they had a sticker on the shelf space apologising for the lack of coconut.
     What's going on?  Conrad, inquisitive fellow that he is, would like to know.  There's this recipe, you see <cont. Page 96>
Leslie, I feel your pain

 Old School Feint Rule
     Alas, I have come to the end of my extremely useful Pukka Pad; even though it is spiral-bound, it has not sprung apart or intertwined.  As I am old school - and also old - I like to write things down with a pen.  If I am feeling especially ancient school I write with a Fountain Pen** - look it up on Google, o thou youthful gel-pen users - and the Pukka Pad has perforated pages that allow easy removal.  This is why I have a folder full of transparent plastic sleeves in the kitchen - it contains dozens and dozens of recipes written down on the Pukka, detatched and then used for baking or cooking.  Looking at the etiolated Pad's carcass, I estimate at least 180 pages have been removed.
<Sniff>  We had such good times together ...

*A line from "Wreck-It Ralph".
** A vade mecum.  Really.


Coming next week: Audubon's Book of North American Cyborg Birds.







No comments:

Post a Comment