Search This Blog

Thursday 12 September 2013

A Little Goes A Long Way

Voyager 2, of course
     There is an amusing and illustrative infographic on the BBC website, thus:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21937524

It allows you to input your daily commute data and works out how long it would take to reach the gas giant planets of the Solar System.  I would take over one and a half thousand years to reach Jupiter, and thirty seven thousand years to reach Voyager's current location.
     Bit long for a daily drive to work.
My car.  Not insured beyond Earth's atmosphere.


Verisimilitude
     I beg your indulgence, dear reader, this is another little rant about language.
     "Verisimilitude" - meaning that something possesses the quality of truthfulness or reality.  Really? It sounds like a variety of multi-legged creature!  "Sir, there's a verisimilitude on your shoulder" works for me (the original was "Sir, there's a multi-legged creature on your shoulder"*).  B & Q probably stock bottles of "Verisimilitude Vapouriser - one nibble and they're kibble!" and starving students in attics lay traps to catch legions of verisimilitudes.  Which they mash and put in a pie.
A multi-legged creature?  It looks like his shoulder's grown another head!


Velvet Whoopee Pies
     Do I detect a theme here?  Hmmm. Maybe not. Okay, I've baked the pie part of these.  I've also made the filling, which is chilling in the fridge at present.  Tomorrow I shall have to get up early enough to warm the filling before spreading it on the pies, making sure that it divides up into 11, as I have 22 pies to match.  The tricky bit will be matching the pies, which are all slightly different in shape and size.

Right.  I now have to go iron a shirt for work tomorrow.  O! the rock and roll lifestyle what Conrad doth lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment