Search This Blog

Monday 9 September 2013

Media Review: 9th September 2013

Aural
     Currently listening to "Ya Habiibii Taala" as performed by Asmahan, from the "Simply Arabic" CD I got at the weekend. 
     It sounds great, but - since I speak no Arabic - I have no idea what the lady is singing about  (astute readers will remember a similar problem with the Czech prog-rockers Plastic People of the Universe).  It does imbue a feeling of sitting in a coffee shop at dusk, watching dhows sail across the Mediterranean, as the muezzin calls ...

Visual
     Finally finished watching "End of Watch" last night.  Definitely up there with the best American cop films.  Michael Pena and Jake Gyllenhaal have a chemistry together, best seen in the improvised squad car scenes.  The whole whammy only cost $7 million - hard to believe, the technical crew done good - and I'm pleased to see it made back 5 times what it cost.

Literal
     Alright, stretching the Latin definitions a little - "Take These Men" arrived in the post today.  In the same way that "The Sands Of Valour" is a fictional biography of the Desert War in North Africa up to Alamein, so too is Take These Men, except it continues until the end of the war in Tunisia.  My first copy went into the Oldham Council recycling skips back when Project Apocalypse was running.  This copy stays with me!

Sensual
     That Pecan and Pistachio ice-cream still isn't right!  Either there are too many nuts in the mix or I didn't blend them sufficiently down into small enough bits.
     Damn it, I will get this right.  I may have to eat gallons of ice-cream - O! the sacrifice - but I am going to get this done proper!

Wall
     Not a long post tonight, as I have been sanding, brushing and sealant-painting one of the walls in my hovel - Project Damnation Day #137 - preparatory to painting with paint proper.

Ta Ta!

No comments:

Post a Comment