Search This Blog

Monday 2 September 2013

Sic Transit Gloria Monday*

Or, Autumn Arrives
     Perhaps not officially, yet it feels like Autumn.  Schools are going back, mornings are darker, evenings come sooner and a chill wind was blowing this weekend.  As BOOJUM! has posited in the past, these were all reasons for the English to go abroad and conquer warmer bits of real estate, until package holidays arrived in the 1960's and we could fly to Spain for some summer sun.

Just Hang On A Minute -
     Talk quietly amongst yourselves, dear readers -

 - ah there we go.  Just been onto Grooveshark to get "The Avengers" theme tune.  Yes, of course, the TV series!  Hmmm.  Inspired by the harpsichord I think "Dangerman" is next.

This comes of yesterday's post (which see, and get my traffic stats up TVM*) 

The Avengers
    This version, thank you -
Heart-flutteringly attractive.  I bet the bad guys were lining up to meet her ...
I have long regretted losing a coffee-table book I once bought about The Avengers.  It had a potted guide to every episode with corresponding photographs, and explained how John Steed was originally a secondary character to the lead, played by Ian Whathisname, a young police surgeon.  There were a couple of other secondary characters, too, who had maybe one episode or two.
     It was only £5, too.  I miss that book.  I know, I know, Abebooks - but I can't remember what it was called.
     Anyway, I only caught up with The Avengers in the late 1980's when they were featured on Channel 4, in the Emma Peel iteration. I loved it!  and still do.

So - Tanks?
     Enough whimsical reminiscence.  Let us have Armoured Fighting Vehicles!

(Oh excuse me - just getting Albinoni's Adagio in G Minor, sombre rococo music)

Dada Dalek?  No!  It's a Renault FT17 tank
 This squat little beggar is more properly the daddy of modern tanks than the British Mk IV.  Note the body mounted between tracks that run the length, the fully-rotating turret, the rear-mounted engine.  Note also that Conrad would need serious surgery to fit inside.  That thing in the background?  A French 75mm field gun on an anti-aircraft mounting.

*Fearfully clever, eh?

Tot Siens!


No comments:

Post a Comment