Search This Blog

Thursday 18 July 2013

The Mars Volta RIP

I can see your furrowed brow - "What the hell is Mars Volta?  A region of Mons Olympus on the Red Planet?  A unit of electrical current?  A bizarre Californian cocktail?  Tell us, Conrad, tell us!"

The Mars Volta, thank you, were a rock band who broke up earlier this year.  I hesitate to describe them but "Bonkers prog-metal mathcore" is probably the closest I can get.  I've been playing three of their CDs non-stop over the past couple of weeks, after having paid very little attention to them over the past three years.  I have one as my Car CD; these are CDs I've decided need to be given serious listening to, where I, as a captive audience, cannot get away from them.  And I've decided that I do really like TMV - and have only just found out that they went toes-up in 2013.

Oh well.  I've had similar experiences before in music and literature.  Discover an artist, love their work, look for more - then discover they died twenty years ago and will never play or write again.

A short blog today <hooray! shout other, competitive, bloggers> since I've got the pub quiz at 9:00.  Also since I am going out after work tomorrow, I did the weekly shop tonight, after having to pick up parcels from the Sorting Office, so didn't get in until after 7:00.  Which means - gasp! - no time to bake a cake for the office tomorrow.  Oh the humanity!

Toodle-ooh!



Not this week, ma'am.  We may relent next week.  If they're good.

No comments:

Post a Comment