Search This Blog

Tuesday 30 July 2013

End of The World, Ma!

Today I have been mostly watching "The World's End"*.  Not, I assure any trans-Atlantic viewers, "The End Of The World", because that is a similarly-themed cinematic excursion released at the same time in the same cinemas, being entirely different. 

No.  "The World's End". 


I dunno.  It seemed appropriate.  Blue blood?

I loved it, and - really - would go back to see it again tomorrow, just to pick up on the background references that got missed first time around. Not the shooting star, though - got that first time, Edgar**.

O Dull Work, Thou Chastisement
In order to view The World's End I ventured into Manchester, Yeah!  that City of Sin.  After the cinema I felt realllly thirsty and so detoured to my place of work, which is but three minutes away, where I retrieved and guzzled a pint of lemonde.  Also I obtained one of our corporate discount cinema cards, enabling me to view at the same cost as a student.  What shall I view cheaply as a result?  The World's End again, or The End Of The World, or - Pacific Rim?  The spectacle of giant robots biffing the spit out of equally-giant monsters*** does have it's appeal.

It was either this, or Godzilla.  And we've all seen Godzilla a million times, right?
Timeslip
I admit to having two whole pints of beer from six o'clock onwards.  Then I fell asleep.  Waking up later I was convinced it was the small hours of the next day.  Went to bed.  Woke up at what the alarm clock insisted was 10:30 yet it was pitch black outside. Suddenly realised - ah, you got there ahead of me.  Bizarre with a capital "Q"!  Okay, today I have been mostly <cue Twilight Zone theme>

Time considered as a helix.  No semi-precious stones, sorry****.

*Fast Show reference
** Edgar Wright.  Directed "Spaced".  Several of whose actors appear in TWE
*** Yes I know it's actually "kaiju" but "equally-giant monsters" has more POW. Ta.
**** Score double points if you recognised this as a Comsat Angels record and derived from JG Ballard, English Sci-Fi's enfant-terrible

No comments:

Post a Comment