Search This Blog

Sunday 21 July 2013

Diem Domesticus

Ah.  Sunday.  A lie-in, then a round of domestic duties.  No!  Don't go!  There are wrinkles that make for entertainment, honestly.

Laundry - work clothes for next week need to be washed and then the shirts ironed.  It's as dull doing the ironing as it is writing about it, believe me, so I always have a film on either PC or player, except then the bloody job takes twice as long.  Unless it's foreign and subtitled in which case - four times as long.
     I know, I know, I should have music on because that doesn't distract.

Hoovering - again it's a matter of hideous wonder at just how much crap a Dyson sucks out of your carpet.  I know the floor was grubby but you could have built a cat from all the hair present (we already have two so no more needed).

Litter disposal - this includes getting rid of carcasses that our cats have so graciously bestowed upon us.  This weekend a fledgling and most of a mouse.  Last week a frog - which got away alive - and more mice and a shrew.

Rice - for my rice salad next week, put that on to soak a while ago.  Some olives, fresh mint, cheese cubes and yoghurt dressing and we're good to go.  Most importantly, with those ingredients nobody else in the household will be tempted to try it.

Blog - time to spare on a Sunday to create what is either deathless prose or drivelling piffle.  Possibly a bit of both.  As you can see I've modulated the Bauhaus black and white with a nice clementine-tinted font. 

Reading - I've had three weeks and still hadn't started one of my library books - "The One From The Other" by Philip Kerr, so I sat down at breakfast with book, Base Egg and a pot of tea, and began to read about post-WW2's hardest-bitten private detective.  Really, this chap Kerr seems to have written these books specifically for me.  Ta very much!

Burial Duties - I sadly binned my Gear4 I-Pod dock speakerset today.  Typically, being large and clumsy, I caught my foot in the power lead and propelled the Gear4 at high speed to the floor from a height of several feet.  Digital Humpty-Dumpty.  I have had years of use out of it, mind, although when Jenny (our she-cat) chewed the aerial lead off the radio function was useless.  I am having to substitute with a Ministry of Sound speakerset which is a pale and hollow compensation.

Ice-Cream - of course I have to blather on about ice-cream in here somewhere, it wouldn't be BOOJUM! without it.  Just working out what cost is involved with a custard-based ice-cream; about £3 for about a couple of pints, which is half of what you pay for a Ben & Jerry's.  Of course they have overheads that I don't, but they create on an industrial scale so it balances out.

Zombie Novel - enough blogging, better go and do some more of this.  Our hero, Dee, is about to be sent to the most terrifying place in the UK - the Isle of Wight - and is putting his career on the line in order to - ah, but that would be telling.

Cheerio!



No comments:

Post a Comment