Search This Blog

Saturday 27 July 2013

Books! Comics! Cakes! Levenshulme Market!

Books
Another two arrived in the post today and I got two more from the Oxfam bookshop in Manchester, plus I haven't added the three that arrived by post yesterday to my list.  It must be over 400 now, which is about 100 more than this time last year and only 100 to go until we approach the totals of pre-Operation Apocalypse.


The results of 2 weeks of ordering books, only 18 of them. I know, I know, a bit lightweight.  Next time I'll do better, honestly.



Comics
Just finished reading the very last of "The Boys", which is good - a comic series with a definite denouemont, thus there will be no more of them.  I hope so, one of the things I detest about mainstream comics is Endless Reanimation.  A character dies, and then comes back in later issues with some fantastically threadbare billicks about how it happened - and then it happens again.  And again.
     Also, the two central characters in The Boys are a Cockney and a Scot, even if it is set in America.  Hurray for the UK!

Cakes
Today I went around to see my friend Jane, whom I have not seen face-to-face for years.  She hesitated upon the doorstep - white hair and bushy moustache obviously a big surprise - before recognising myself.  Since I'd been trampling around for half an hour the papaya ice-cream had turned to gelid slop, but the Coffee and Chocolate Loaf and Honey and Walnut Loaf offering went down well.  After perusing the market we chinwagged at "POD" - "Post Office Delicatessen" - an old Post Office now a cafĂ© of sorts.  I remember it as a Post Office when I lived in Levenshulme; one of the benefits, if you like, of being an old get.
CAAAAKE!
Not the one I took to Jane.
 
Levenshulme Market
    I turned up because Jane (see above) recommended it on Facebook.  "Aha!" thought I.  "I always liked Jane.  Now I have an excuse to see her and conduct market research at the Market.  Result!"
     Market research consisted of walking around any stall selling baked stuff, and totalling what they charged per loaf, cupcake, pie, bun, cheesecake, Brioche or Danubio.  Only after half an hour did Jane point out that nobody I was scrawling data about knew what I was doing.  I might have been Health & Safety, Levenshulme Market inspectors, Trading Standards, Tesco - anyone.  I managed a subsequent explanation - I've been baking for charity at work for 16 years and never costed a cake until a couple of weeks ago.
     Eventually we leave the market and I have some Cheesecake Canneloni and Fatjax chutneys - one of them Peach and Ginger because that way nobody else at 625 will touch it!

Okay, enough blogging.  I've got "Invincible 16" and "100 Bullets 11" to read.  Plus that zombie  - oh you get the picture.

Toodle-ooh!

No comments:

Post a Comment