Search This Blog

Monday 15 July 2013

Streaming, and Screaming, and Ice-Creaming

The Streaming Bit
     So.  That wonky-eyed* chap from Radiohead - Thom, that's him, young Thom Yorke - has pulled his tracks from Scrotify.  I don't blame him.  Bloody chiselling weasels, restricting free play to 0.0005 seconds per month and preventing more than 0.9999 plays of a song whilst pimping 18 billion aural adverts.  Disgraceful!
     I am, however, deliriously happy that Grooveshark didn't get a mention in the BBC article - hang on I'm a blogger there ought to be a link here -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23313445

 - ah there we go!  Where was I?  Oh yes, Saint Swithin's Day is supposed to - hang on, whoops -

 -ah, yes, Conrad is getting on a bit and loses the thread sometimes.  No Grooveshark, so it can be my little secret. Mine, mine, mine.  ALL MINE!  and someday, Valentina, I will tell you about 96.2 The Revolution.  Meanwhile all Grooveshark bases belong to me.

The Screaming Bit
     Nominally, there ought to be 40 staff in my team at work, although with sick leave and holiday and people seconding/leaving/idling-off-in-the-kitchen this is more like 33 staff.  Today, what do we get?  Triple the normal number of phone calls. 
     I raise this as an issue because Conrad, being the impeccable column of sheer cool** that he is, remains refreshingly stress-free and jovial whilst all around can barely restrain their inner turmoil - hence the Screaming.
     'What is this word "stress" that you speak of?' I tried.  Looks either blank or brutal returned, Conrad did not try that gambit again.
     We shall see how many of the 33 turn up for work tomorrow.  Really, I should think of a way to boost my fellow-worker's morale.  What can ...
     Turbo-tiddly winks!  Yessss!  How can that fail!  already I see <Cont. Page 96>

The Ice-creaming Bit
     Ah, dearie me, I forgot to add rum to my ginger ice-cream before the freezing process.  The end result tastes fine, it just needs to be ice-picked out of the ground an hour before consumption.  Thankfully I have just purchased a quarter-bottle of vodka for the purposes of rigelation (?) and concrete ice-cream ought not to be a problem again.

The Ice-Dreaming Brit
     Excuse dreadful pun!  This comes of the Ice-Penetrator astronomical article referred to yesterday.  Back in the day, science fiction fondly imagined more rarefied applications of Jovian exploration, in that the atmosphere of the planet or it's satellites was examined - see James Blish, Harry Harrison or Isaac Asimov - rather than the subterranean environment of the Jovian satellites themselves.  It's entirely possible that the ice-penetrator technology (and they have to come up with a catchy name or acronym!) is going to get there before Conrad croaks, in which case I need to know - Are We Alone***?

*  You can't deny it.  It's there in the CD listings - "Yorke, Thom: Rhythm guitar, lead guitar, vocals, wonky eye, glockenspiel"
** Cooler than liquid nitrogen.  Baby.
*** This leads in to "The Kraken Wakes".  To be expanded upon in later blogs .....

No comments:

Post a Comment