Search This Blog

Tuesday 9 July 2013

A hasty blog entry -

 - before I dash off to the Manchester Military History Society.  The lecture tonight is on battlefield touring, slanted towards Normandy but applicable to many other sites of past conflict.

Conrad is going because he's saving up to venture forth into Flanders, possibly to Ypern, as it is known today, or "Ypres" as it was known to the British army in World War One.  I have read libraries about the place but have never seen it with these old glazzies.  I'm getting on a bit, you know (chorus of "ahhhs"!), and I need to get these visits in before old age cements me to a chair.  The dilemma is, go this Autumn when I'll have enough saved but when the weather is likely to be bad, or wait until next Spring, when the weather will be good - but when there are also likely to be scads of other tourists.  2014 you see.  Centenary.  But not for Italy, they have to wait until 2015.

Well, got to go, that zombie - sorry, that lecture needs attending.

Pip pip!

No comments:

Post a Comment