Search This Blog

Monday 22 July 2013

For Some People, Small Beautiful Things Are What Life Is All About ...

One of my favourite lines spoken by that Gallifreyan vagabond, The Doctor, in his Fifth incarnation.  Standing up to those swaggering metal bullies* the Cybermen, in fact, if you want to know.

Relevant because I've just been reading my Philip Kerr novel, sitting in the back yard quaffing some iced pear cider, enjoying the shades of dusk arriving.  Very balmy and summery and not something I've been able to do for years.  When true dark falls the bats arrive as the sound of motor cars fades in the night**, and if you hang around long enough the owls will start to hoot.



Ahhh!  Forget vampires, these guys are as cute as puppies!



Orphan bats.  Really, even Newt Gingrich would melt at a photo like this.

Another Small Wonderful Moment
Featuring The Doctor.  Tah-dah!

Don't run away, I shan't break into a confession that I learned everything I know from Doctor Who.  No.  No, I was also watching Star Trek at the time. No!  Only joking.

Anyway, the scene I like that embodies everything right about The Doctor is from "The Silurians".  Our hero is poking about in a shady character's house, convinced that it hides a guilty secret, when he rounds a corner and runs directly into a six-foot***, reptilian biped with green scaly skin.
     What does The Doctor do?  Run screaming in fear?  Pull out a ray-gun and start blasting?  Turn the Silurian into an emerald pretzel with Venusian Aikido?
     None of the above.  Instead he goes to shake it's hand, in a universal gesture implying friendship and lack of malice - except someone else blunders into the situation and spoils it.  Oh well it would have been a short series with a resolution that quick.



The old-school, non-sexy Silurian.  Snogging one of these definitely not on the menu.

* Yes yes yes, the Cybermen are emotionless great trollies but they are simultaneously whopping great bullies, so there.
** Yes yes yes, I did steal a line from "Supper's Ready" by Genesis so sue me.
***  Conrad, proudly maintaining Imperial measures into the 21st century.

No comments:

Post a Comment